TY 250 T/S front/down pipe - Stainless

Dodgeym

Hi all

new to forum & looking for guidance on install of stainless front/down pipe ( unsure if I can mention manufacturer on here)? for 78 Yamaha TY250 T/S. Website I was looking at mentions a flange & using bolts instead of studs?  Any help appreciated, many thanks. 

15 hours ago, Dodgeym said:

Hi all

new to forum & looking for guidance on install of stainless front/down pipe ( unsure if I can mention manufacturer on here)? for 78 Yamaha TY250 T/S. Website I was looking at mentions a flange & using bolts instead of studs?  Any help appreciated, many thanks. 

Depending on the shape of the pipe and if it has a fixed flange or not, it may need to have bolts used where the pipe flange bolts to the cylinder, instead of studs and nuts, to allow the pipe to be fitted.

Some TY250 twinshock cylinders have exhaust flange mounting holes that are M6x1.0 threads and some have M8x1.25 threads.

The standard arrangement from new is studs and nuts.

The standard exhaust pipe flange can rotate on the standard pipe. Some aftermarket pipes have a fixed flange.

Hi feetupfun

many thanks for your response. This came with the bike & there is a slight gap where exhaust flange isn’t sealing against barrel, not great photos but looks like due to exhaust flange not being able to rotate it doesn’t seal properly. Next question is what would be the best solution for this? 

Spoiler

IMG_9660.thumb.jpeg.f41405dfd72419acc9cb16ba4bf2fab2.jpegIMG_9659.thumb.jpeg.9f28b225ac9d3992eb756b0247d870f1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dodgeym said:

Hi feetupfun

many thanks for your response. This came with the bike & there is a slight gap where exhaust flange isn’t sealing against barrel, not great photos but looks like due to exhaust flange not being able to rotate it doesn’t seal properly. Next question is what would be the best solution for this? 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_9660.thumb.jpeg.f41405dfd72419acc9cb16ba4bf2fab2.jpegIMG_9659.thumb.jpeg.9f28b225ac9d3992eb756b0247d870f1.jpeg

Maybe the header pipe is bent. There is meant to be a metal crush sealing ring in there to seal against the flange. The flange needs to be quite close to being parallel with the mating surface for this sealing ring to work. When these header pipes are being fitted new, the first thing to do is fit the header pipe up fully to the cylinder then make whatever changes are needed to get things to fit. I remember fitting a header pipe that looks a lot like yours and had to reshape the header pipe (heating it with an oxy torch) to get the rear end of the header pipe in the right spot to fit to the front end of a WES mid box.