Ty175 Info

adbru

Hi,

First post so be gentle :)

My son has an old ty175 which he now wants to sell.

Is there a way of finding out how old it is ??

I was quite surprised to find the frame and engine numbers still match after all this time !!

Also is there still a good demand for these bikes ??

I'll be sad to see it go as I wont get to play on it anymore :blush:

many thanks and ride safe

Adbru

Hi,i have a ty with no reg or v5,i contacted Yamaha Motor [uk] P.O. BOX 588 Sopwith Drive Weybridge KT13 3AL with frame & engine No and they sent me a letter stating year of manufacture, if you do,nt know the history of your TY it might of been registered in the past, you could try a seach at your local police station,you can then apply for a age related No plate.Good luck :)

If you want to ride competitively then these bikes aren't in demand. But to the right buyer these bikes are in more demand than the new ones. I rebuilt my 175 and could never sell it. But everyone has their own preferences! lol, if you lived near me, I would gladly buy it from you so I could rebuild it!! :lol:

Edited by Jackman

There should be three digits at the start. That will determine the type of TY175. If it is the type that has the stand on the swingarm, it will be 525.

If it is one of the models made to meet road rego requirements in some countries it might start with 1N4 or another set of three digits.

The digits after the hyphen tell you when it was made which is of very little importance generally as all the bikes with the 525 prefix are mechanically identical no matter when they were made. I don't have the reference for the second set of numbers handy. If no one else posts it in the meantime, I will look it up and do another posting tonight.

What is the thing about not wanting to post the engine number?

Ok I've found a reference chart for TY175 engine numbers vs model and year attributed to John Cane and printed in VMX magazine issue 18.

I'm not going to spend half an hour typing it out but here is what you will need to post or PM to me if you want a dating for your TY175:

If it starts with 525, the first two digits after the 525

If it starts with 1N4, the first digit after the 1N4

If it starts with 1R1, thats enough.

If it has a different prefix to those above, it may have started out as a TY125.

Hi FeetupFun,

Sorry for the delay, lifes been hectic !!

Thanks for taking the time to look up the date codes :(

I am just a bit paranoid about things like engine/chassic/reg/phone numbers etc on the net :thumbup:

The start of the number is 150 and it is a 525 prefix

Many thanks

Adbru

I've had another look at the TY175 engine number/year of manufacture chart and on closer look it appears to be attributed to Australian TY175 researcher Stephen Fox rather than to John Cane.

The chart indicates that based on your engine number the bike was made in 1979.