Buckled Wheel & Exhaust Rubbing

jetset

The TY250 pinky I have just bought has a few problems I need to sort out and it's my first trials bike so any help from you people in the know would be appreciated. The silencer has a hole in it caused by the back tyre rubbing against it, is this a common problem? I have bent the bracket on the silencer out so it clears but it still seems to be very close.

Would a welded plate over the hole do the job or is a new silencer a better option?

The rear wheel also looks buckled but looks to be the tyre more than the wheel itself as the rim seems ok when the wheel is spinning but the tyre seems to have a lump in it at one point, any ideas? Perhaps it is an optical illusion! If it is the wheel can it be repaired or would it need replacing? Don't know how much of a problem a buckled rear wheel is? Perhaps I am worrying about nothing but am trying to get stuff sorted now and then I can get out on it when the weather inproves.

Thanks

Yes it is OK and an economical option to have the silencer patched. It's a common sight on pinkys.

Yes there is not much tyre clearance on the pinky.

If the rim is true, the problem may be that the tyre has sat parked in one spot for a while. Pump it up to 20psi until you are ready to ride it. That will help a bit. Then riding it at normal trials pressure should get rid of the rest of the lump in the tyre quite quickly. If you have some way of warming the tyre before riding the bike it will recover shape quicker.

If the rim is out too much, you may be able to get it straight using spoke adjustment. A few mm run out is usually OK on a trials bike unless you are going to ride it fast on a road.

If the spoke threads are frozen, you may need to replace some or all of the spokes (about $100 for a set of spokes for one wheel). Put some penetrating oil on the spoke threads now if you want to try and adjust your spokes. It is normal for spoke threads to sieze up within a few years from new unless they have been treated with antisieze early on.

Have a good look at where the tyre fits to the rim and see if it is evenly seated on the rim. Some tubeless tyres (Dunlop especially) won't stay in position on rims like your pinky so one part of the bead stays in a bit. This also causes the tyre to appear uneven when rotated. Your bike really should have a tube type tyre if you want it to fit properly and easily. If it is a Dunlop rear it is a tubeless type. Michelin make tube type and tubeless type. A Michelin X11 tubeless will probably be OK on your rim if you can't get a Michelin tube type.

Thanks very much, the tyre is a tubeless michelin and as you say it does look to be not seated properly on rim in a couple of places.The bike has been stood for afew months with low tyre pressure before I bought it and there as there are a couple of splits in side wall but they don't seem to be letting air out. There is loads of tread on the tyre so I will try pumping it up as you suggest and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot fast!

What do you reckon about the exhaust / silencer joint? Should it be sealed or simply push in?

2 stroke and gearbox Oil advice and how often gearbox oil needs changing would be great.

Cheers matey

Thanks very much, the tyre is a tubeless michelin and as you say it does look to be not seated properly on rim in a couple of places.The bike has been stood for afew months with low tyre pressure before I bought it and there as there are a couple of splits in side wall but they don't seem to be letting air out. There is loads of tread on the tyre so I will try pumping it up as you suggest and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help, I am learning a lot fast!

Hey :lol: I just put a new back tire on my ty 175 recently, and it didn't sit correctly on the bead at first.. So what I did (after cursing the bikes name for a while) was put WD40 around the bead/rim edge and let it kinda loosen it up a little. Then I put in a LOT of air, and it slowly pushed it onto the bead evenly. You have to leave a lot of air in it or else it will sink back down. If you can store the bike indoors and let it stay warm while there is a lot of pressure in the tire it will help it go back into shape :) Good luck

Edited by Jackman