The Challenge

ringo

ishy, looking at my new Trialsport mag Lane has been Nat'l Champion and between 1975 and 1979 he never dropped out of the top 5. Pretty impressive I think! I didn't see your name though. Maybe you have some WTC titles but I'll have to research that.

Your rabid hatred of everything Lane is ridiculous IMO.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ishy, looking at my new Trialsport mag Lane has been Nat'l Champion and between 1975 and 1979 he never dropped out of the top 5. Pretty impressive I think! I didn't see your name though. Maybe you have some WTC titles but I'll have to research that.
nsaqam Posted Today, 04:05 PM

Ok nsagam,

You come on the forum having never ridden a trials event and did I get it right, you don't have a bike, just purchased one and all of a sudden are making statements without first checking the facts:

You know there is a saying "it matters not what you have done in the past what have you done lately.

Edited by sideup

Jack, If I ever consider getting a job, would you mind writing my resume, looks a lot better than I remember it :beer:

I have never ridden trials for anything other than the pleasure of.

What has been done in the past is gone, history, it's what is being done now that matters, and as Al points out, those who do are.

I know where Nasgam is coming from, it does look like I'm picking on Lane, but some bugger has to keep the loonies on the path.

I'm just responding to the threads I've read here in which Lane consistently gets slammed by folks. Sometimes it seems for no reason and with no qualifying comments or even recognition that Lane may have a sane point. To me that seems wrong, slam for the sake of slamming.

As to Mr. Isherwood's extensive trials support and accomplishments I can only say Holy Cow and that I'm impressed and embarassed and I offer him and everyone else who was offended my sincere apology.

Mr. Isherwood said it himself that if you were to look at the banter between Lane and himself you may be led to believe he was picking on Lane and Lane on him to some extent.

I've admitted my TOTAL lack of experience in this amazing sport but everyone has to start somewhere. My greatest hope involving this sport is that it get the recognition and the monetary rewards it truly deserves. I wish Mr. Isherwood could make $1,000,000 a year and not have to do it as a labor of love. Although I appreciate the fact that he does the labor for a pittance.

I will continue to desire an American World Champ because I think that's the only way all of you involved in this sport can get the rewards that you deserve.

Mr. Isherwood, once again, please forgive my naivete and my careless comment.

Thanks

Ken Umpierre

Ken, I think part of what you need to remember when you go onto a BB is that you are not walking in to a "clean" conversation that starts at the top, and ends at the bottom.

The nature of a BB is that the talk wander's off the original topic many times as people bring up different things and the conversation progresses along.

Also remember that several folks here have been in these same conversations for a LONG time. Before this BB was around and through several of it's predecessors.

I hope you have taken the time to go to the bottom of the screen and look at how long you are displaying the news for, then go back a ways, maybe a year, and wander about through the threads. Sometimes it can give an insight into the current discussions.

You coming to the WR?

Gosh Alan, I wish I were coming to the WR. I'd love to see it again and also check out the TTC. But I have a new job and no vacation yet so I don't think I can make it. I'll have to settle for the TrialsTV DVD for my fix.

Thanks for asking

Ken

I appreciate the support guys and I intend to stay involved here.

This amazing sport has got me hooked and this forum is the best one out there.

I do regret getting petty though and will guard against it in the future.

WOW! Talk about a smack down!

When Mr. Jack Betty speaks, people listen.

Hey Jack, that was quite impressive and I'm honored that you posted in my 'beave bashing challenge' thread.

Hey Ken, how about doing a little research on Jack Betty and see what you find? I'm sure you'd be impressed and he'd never tell anyone as he's a very modest gentleman.

I shall, and I'm sure I will be impressed.

He layed the smackdown on me when I deserved it for getting petty. I manned up and took it and then apologized for my behavior.

My personal trials hero is Steve Ahlers, the guy who brought the WTC to Duluth and thusly, me into this sport. I lent some minor assistance to him and his dedicated crew for the '05 event. Griff Wigley is a stellar chap as well, came up 4-5 hours each way every weekend and is the main web dude on the UMTA site. Hats off to these folks! Many others helped as well and although I don't remember their names they deserve alot of credit too. One guy was an ex-pat Scot who lived in Canada with an "up yer kilt" sticker on everything he owned. Funny guy!

Guys,

As you can tell Ken's post got me going. Sorry Ken I was a little hard on you.

You know there are many people in this sport that just have a true passion for this sport called observed trials. I felt it need to be pointed out.

It's not because we are trying for a World or National title and it's certainly not for financial gain.

We just enjoy riding with our good friends.

It hard to explain, but even out just fun riding, it's like us old guys are 12 years old again.

We constantly play the "bet you can't clean this" game. Often "bet you won't try this...., or "you can do this, I know I can, unless your chicken."

Nothing beats that rush you feel when you clean that section before your riding mate or go up that obstacle that had your butt puckered.

For that split second in your minds eye your as good as the world champ you watch videos of.

It doesn't matter what brand of bike your riding, or what year of bike. Trials just has the bond that is very cohesive.

I know this is straying from the topic, but to most of us club riders, it's like Ishy said it's for the enjoyment of riding.

If you have an upcoming son or daughter, don't forget to make it fun, forget the title chase. Let them decide to do it.

In the end when your son or daughter comes up and says, "Dad you remember that time we .........

That's what it's about.

Edited by sideup

sideup, no worries, I was talking out my a** and I deserved a smackdown. No excuse but my 2 year old forcing me onto a sliver of my bed with his little knees in my back may have colored my judgement. They're only young once though!

I of course have no other intention in this sport than to have fun. I have the same hopes for my children as well. I'm sure that having fun with dad is why all the Dougie Lampkins, Adam Ragas, and James Dabills got started too. The difference though is that their trials organizations mandated that their fun would come in the context of the stepping stones towards a World Championship. They could get off this path anytime they desired and continue to ride for fun alone. This is as it should be IMO.

If my kids and I have good times together and create lasting, loving memories I will be happy as a clam. If however 1 or all of them want to go further and if they derive personal satisfaction from the quest to be the best then I want that for them as well.

Who's going to videotape this much ballyhooed competition because I want to see it? Ringo, 3M duct tape is the best for your leg, trust me.