Clutch Drag, 98 Jtx 270

kieran

My clutch drags when I first start the bike up. Fire it up, whip in the clutch, select gear and it sets off with the clutch in. After about 3 - 5 seconds the clutch is fine, and doesn't drag at all. Any ideas?? The action after this initial drag is faultless, nice and light with no sign of dragging at all.

Im hoping that something like an oil change should sort it, what do I whack in ATF?? And how much roughly??

Try holding the clutch in for 10 seconds or so with the bike in neutral before putting it in gear; that should let the discs get loosened up so it won't take off on you.

An oil change may help. Going by memory, it takes about 700mls of fluid. There is a sight glass to check the level, just hold the bike straight up and check that it is about half way up the glass. The sight glass is also the filler hole, BTW.

There are many different opinions about what kind of oil to use, maybe you could check with the previous owner to see what's in it now and use the same since it works well after the first bit. Hope this helps, Bruce