Allie Beag Invaders Memorial Trial

petedad

I must point out that it was NOT a virus that caused the recent problems. It is not possible for anyone to get a virus from visiting this site. My "real life" job away from this site is working for the largest computer security company in the world. Take my word for it - You will not EVER get a virus from visiting Trials Central.

The problem arose due to an (unknown at the time) vulnerability in software I recently installed on the site around email services which allowed those of a malicious mind to launch what is known as a Denial of Service attack on another site. Denial of Service basically means they flood the site with requests until it goes down.

The affected software has now been removed and everything is back to normal! :P

Just being nosy Andy but for future reference what was the software?

It was nothing that would affect anybody running Windows. Trials Central runs under RedHat Linux (Fedora actually for the techies out there). I believe the cause of the problem was Dovecot which is an IMAP/POP solution which I installed last week for email - unaware of the potential problem. If I haven't already lost you with geek-speak, details of the vulnerability are here :P