Clanky Clause

sir dabs alot

I have noticed that my forks aren't quiet as plush as I think they could be. Today while riding, I noticed that any time I lift the front wheel off of the ground, the front end lands with a clank! Even if it's only a foot off the ground it seems to have the harshest landing possible. I have injured my wrist and figured it came from a big landing but now I'm wondering if it was from several or one small landing/s.

The suspension seems pretty normal while going over things and tracking the ground, it only seems harsh, as far as I have noticed, when the front end is lifted off the ground about a foot or more and comes down with a clank!

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to remedy it?

Thanks!!!

By the way, my bike is an '02 Sherco 2.9 with the stock Paoli fork. :D

I don't know why your forks go clank, but I wanted to ask you a favor while you're still new to this forum: would you consider changing your username in order to avoid causing confusion? I have already had people mistaking you for me. I have been using this username for several years, or I would change it.

Thanks for the consideration,

Richard

I noticed some "topping out" on both my '01 and '03 bikes, never gave it much thought, but I have not really noticed it on the '05, Maybe a change of oil would help a bit?

I normally use the 5wt, but 7.5 wt is also acceptable i believe.

I found the latter to be a bit harsh on impact compression for me and my weight! Maybe just me!

That is all I know! :D

I don't know why your forks go clank, but I wanted to ask you a favor while you're still new to this forum: would you consider changing your username in order to avoid causing confusion?  I have already had people mistaking you for me.  I have been using this username for several years, or I would change it.

Thanks for the consideration,

Richard

Hi, sirdabsalot. I don't mind changing my user name. I e-mailed Andy after a request that he had sent me about this. I asked him if any one of 4 names that I requested were available. He never wrote back, but this was right before he had to shut the site down. I tried to change it myself but didn't see any way to do it on my settings options. I'll write him again and ask again. You do the same if you think it would help.

I think you might want to go back to the 5wt.

For whatever reason, not all manufacturers viscosity ratings are the same it seems.

The Maxima oil works ok and Ryan has it here in the states but I dunnot know where you are located or what is available. Ck with a dealer near you to see!

Cheers,

MC

I think you might want to go back to the 5wt.

For whatever reason, not all manufacturers viscosity ratings are the same it seems.

The Maxima oil works ok and Ryan has it here in the states but I dunnot know where you are located or what is available. Ck with a dealer near you to see!

Cheers,

MC

I got my 10w from Ryan. It is Maxima. I'll probably give the 5w or even 7.5 a try. I can't remeber if it did this before changing the weight or not. I have a leaky seal right now so I guess it's as good a time as any. I thought maybe my headset was loose and I was feeling it moving but I can't get it to move with the bike still. It feels like my initial inch of travel is harsh and then it smooths out. It doesn't feel over sprung at all. If anything the opposite is so.

I do recall trying either a 7.5 wt or 10 several years back and it beat my wrists on impacts!

It always seemed odd to me that the Sherco manual calls for 4wt, or at least it used to, but just try to find 4wt?

You can try knocking off the top dust seal by tapping with a screwdriver, cleaning the inner seal area and getting a piece of 35mm film to run between the fork tube and seal to dislodge any dirt that may be allowing it to leak.

Some light lube between the dust seal and inner seal will catch what gets through, or get some Seal Savers, you know the neoprene thingies that keep the mud off the wipers in the first place, they really work!

Another last thing that crossed my mind is the fact that the front mudguard will SLAP the front tire on impacts making a sharp raspy noise!

My 2 cents, :D

MC

Oh,

300ml on a drain and fill vs 330 per leg on a clean and dry repair is about right! :D

I changed the oil back to 5w. I'll see how it goes. I've noticed the front fender banging as well. This might be adding to the possible illusion of harshness. I have raised the fender up a little (5mm) with some make shift spacers. I lifted the wiper and cleaned it fairly well. I went with 300cc this time. I'm sure I went 330cc the first time. It feels more supple in the garage. I'll find out this weekend. Thanks for your help! By the way, what are you riding?

Thanks!!

After 2, 2.9 bikes my current bike of choice is an '05, 2.5!

After a bit ov tweaking, it is as smooth as a baby's butt! Sweet! Plenty of power!

I really do not miss the bigger torque of the 2.9!

I also have a 1.25(wifes bike) that I ride sometimes in club events! It will go anywhere I put it if I work the throttle and clutch a bit! Makes me feel like Caby when I rev the crap out of it and let the hammer down!

It's an ego thing, you know! :D

I rode a 2.5 recently and really liked it. It's softer power felt more controlable. Felt very light and seemed to have plenty of power, just a different delivery.

I was wondering. I have recently moved my bars farther forward. Could this attribute to the wrist pain?

Edited by Sir Dabs Alot

I was wondering. I have recently moved my bars farther forward. Could this attribute to the wrist pain?

I would think it is possible, specially if you are not accustomed yet or are getting tired and putting a lot of weight on the hands, stay centered!

Lots of opinions about bar positions, but I will tell you mine that came from upon high. Loosten bars and rotate forward. Insert straight allen wrench into forward mount bolt. Bring bars back untill crossbar touches wrench. Tighten them down with equal spacing of caps front and rear. Done! :D