Starting Out, Which Bike?

barney

Hi all,

I realise this question gets asked alot and I don't want this to turn into a 'my bikes better than you bike' slagging match. I've always fancied trying trials and now I'm a bit older and have a bit of cash I figure why not? The decision I have to make is 'what bike to get'?

We don't get many Montesa's down here in Oz so that pretty much rules them out but I was advised on another forum to look seriously at a 200cc bike as they improve your skill level and are good to learn on as you do the work not the bike. I'm 6 ft 4 and about 15 st, would a 200 be enough for somebody of my size?

We also suffer from a lack of bikes down here when compared to the UK so can anybody recommend a particular 200, (or maybe one to avoid such as the first year of a new model).

Ideally I'd like a Beta Rev3 200, Sherco 200 or Gas Gas Pro 200. Are there any other recommended bikes for somebody starting out with little mechanical knowledge,(i.e. would prefer a bike I don't have to spend hours working on in the garage).

As I mentioned above, I don't want this to turn into a manufacturer bashing topic, just some recommendations for somebody starting out.

Thanks

Barney

Any of the bikes mentioned would do very nicely as would most Versions of the Scorpa 125/175. The trick is that if you roll the throttle too much they won't spit you off the back or perform a "loop" on you. Of the four The Gas Gas Pro is the lightest and needs a little more care in maintaining it in good condition but not stripping down every week! The Beta has a reputation of being very rugged but has had problems with the stator in the past, which has been fixed in the UK. It also requires a carb mod to stop fuel leaking out. If both mods are done then no problem! The Sherco was until the new model very similar in Frame design to the TXT Gas Gas. It Needs a good oil in the Petrol as the Bearings have only a small aperture for the oil to penetrate. We had no problems with a 125 using Castrol XR77. You also need to seal under the mudguard as it is the airbox cover. A bit of Draught proofing and Silicone seal works wonders.

The Beta and Gas Gas have adjustable suspension whereas the Sherco didn't, New Sherco's do have adjustment.

The problem is that Only Gas Gas and Beta still do 200's whereas the New Sherco is a Kit to increase the 125's capacity so the second hand market is probably the place to find these bikes.

Best thing to do is try a couple of bikes. Don't nescessary dismiss one because you didn't like one example either. Like car's some ride differently to others and a Well maintained but "Scruffy" bike could be better that that pristine bike that has never had an oil change.

Telecat,

Thanks for your input. Trust somebody from Leeds to reply, I'm originally from Horsforth!! Was going to ask regarding the Beta what sort of problems the faulty stator cause and how you can tell if it's been replaced? Also what is involved in the carb mod. I'm leaning towards the Beta as I've been able to locate a couple of second hand ones.

Thanks

Barney

Used to live off Broadgate Lane in the Woodville's!!!!

Over here you'd ask John Lampkin about the stator and get the Carb mod kit. Searching around R2w has a site with Tech pages on it which includes the Mod and an Address to send the Carb to(Cannot tell if it's a US or Aus address). The SSDT checklist just down the page also tells you how to find out if the Stator has been done, (something about yellow tape). The Carb mod stops fuel spilling out when the bike is stopped and the fuel tap is on. I know a couple of Beta 200 riders, Carli Sherwin and Ian Waddington have them and I know they are pleased with them. Check how Ian is doing on the SSDT Website. I know he rode the 200 there lastr year.

R2Wtrial Tech Page

Edited by Telecat

My lad has a 2004 Rev3 200, it has been very reliable (so far, touch wood) the only common fault it has had is the brittle kick start breaking when it was new, replaced by Lampkins free of charge.

The 2004 200 has a different electrical system to the 250, the 250 I originally had at the same time was rubbish. It used two stators in five trials (which were replaced free of charge)but it spoilt the Beta experience for me and I changed to a Scorpa.

I can highly recommend the 200. For easy trials or when going gets really slippy, the power is perfect. I am quite large and have never found a section I couldn't ride on the 200 that I could do on a 250.