Txt Boy 50 2004

gasgasteve

oops, thousand apologies Tony - I took no toil as typo (so many in forums nowadays) for no oil. I use air filter oil from an aerosol, so i can control the wetness of the filter. I've always found the dunking/soaking/squeezing method gives a very well oiled which has been too oiled for our Ty250, TY80 and now gg rookie 80.

Steve _ I hadn't realised/thought that the needle had so much (indeed anything) to do with starting which I though would be controlled by the pilot & starter jets & the slide (ignoring the air box/filter issues). Ah well, if it works for you. Did you get around to doing the stop/start experiment and have you done plugs chops at the various throttle settings? The later should prove to you (and us) whether the beast is indeed running rich at low revs.

Have a nice play this weekend

hi you were right tobster needle heights irrelvent run it tonight with no air box lid on still a bummer to start when warm

not done the plug thingy yet am going to get a smaller idle jet from eurocarb seeif that works

Steve,

please try the Bosch Platinum plug I mentioned above!

Gapped no more than .020

Not that anyone asked, but I run Amsoil 100:1 oil mixed with premium fuel or AV gas at 88:1 in our little Gasser and in my 97 Fantic Section.

Tony P

Charlotte, NC USA

• 2 months later...

Karl

The air box mod's In this stream really do make a big difference to the throttle responce and the bike really revs out.

I find that the best thing to do when the bike's been dropped is to hold the throttle wide open and kick it over three or four times before trying to start it. Also check out the float and float needle,our bike was a pig to start hot after a spill and would some times just cut out usually just as joshua was called into a section. In the end i found that the float didn't float! As it had absorbet petrol over the years. I now drain the carb when the bike is put away.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

My son has a 2006 TXT50 Boy.

I've made all the mods as suggested by Tonyp884 and am glad to say it performed beautifully at our last trial.

Max 2 kicks to start it, and we now kick it with much much less effort.

In summary I did Following...

* Cut away airbox baffle and also drilled holes in airbox lid

* Dropped needle another notch. Clip is now in the topmost position.

* Air screw is backed out 2.5 turns

* Fitted iridium plug

Engine now idles better. Responds smoothly low to mid range. Very noticeable increase in grunt and overall power.

We rode the entire trial and didn't have to replace the spark plug. Even when he dropped the bike the engine was less prone to cutting out, and when it did, it still only took one or two kicks. Woo hoo !!!!

Thanks Tony.

Jim

A rare problem but it does happen. If the float goes up and doesn't stop the fuel flow, she will flood. If the starting jet is not large enough it will be starved for fuel. If all else fails look for something simple, some times we look to hard. Good Luck