2000 315r To Start Out On?

barney

From reading through the forums I seem to get the impression that the Monty's are pretty reliable. This is a trait that I like and I have come across a 2000 315R, ( Montesa's are pretty rare in these parts) that I'm going to cast my eye over. I was after peoples opinion as to whether they think this is a suitable bike for a beginner? The alternative I'm looking at is a 04 Beta 200 Rev3 but this costs a few more bucks. Any guidance or thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Barney

Barney,

I'm new to trials and just bought an '04 315R as my first bike a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier, the bike has very docile manners yet very capable in my opinion.

The quirks compared to my KTM 2-stroke are you need to run 98-100 octane fuel and the Elf transmission oil isn't inexpensive.

Although i love montesa's and would reccomend one to anyone, they are both good bikes. I have spoken owners of 200 Beta,s, and all of them think that they are all that you need. Nice soft progressive power delivery!.

The 03/04 monts have a slightly more progressive power delivery, compared to the earlier models and IMO are the ones to go for, if you want a mont.

Both are pretty reliable,

Try them both, prefferably off road, in a section, and see which you preffer. Its all personal choice, but at the end of the day, it's your money.

I would echo Monty pythons advice..but would just also say that in my humble opinion, the newer the bike the better, in which case I would go for the Beta....but if you can have a ride on both, you'll know after riding them which one feels better for YOU

Spot on you lot

Both bikes have alloy frames so look good longer

Having had both (and i am fat)i would probably say the beta is a slightly better beginers bike

Both reliable both verry ridable but the beta is a bit more forgiving still with plenty of power

Just buy one ang get trialing

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately the Beta is down in Melbourne which is about 800 miles away for those not familiar with Australian geography, where as the Monty is fairly local in comparison. So having a ride might not be as practical as I would like :wall: However looking at the dollars and cents and with helmet and boots etc to buy, the Monty might be the better option as it is quite a bit cheaper.

I'm an exiled yorkshireman and that's one thing that Britain has over Australia is trials and its availability of bikes and number of clubs etc. How frustrated would you be in England if you had to travel from Plymouth to Glasgow to test ride a bike?

Now I'm not saying that trials is not good over here, just not as readily accessible as it is back in Britain.

As you said Dixie, time to buy a bike and get riding.

Thanks

Barney