Hey Gaby? I Think

alan bechard

I think it is Gaby that works in the bicycle shop????

Really anyone that can help would be great.

I am going to mount a disc front brake on Dean's Sherco 50.

I believe that I want AVID cable operated discs, and a down hill 20mm "thru hub" I think it is called laced to a 20" wheel.

Gaby, can you help me do this cheaply? Yes, I am cheap. Or anyone else, or questions, suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan, why you going cable and not hydro? The cables do work excellent, just curious why you want to go cable.

Unfortunately, I've been out of the bycycle biz long enough now, that I've lost most of my contacts, so can't really help you out much on getting the gear.

Alan,

Gaby here, and yes I have a bicycle shop.

If you choose to go with a cable actuated brake, Avid is certainly the right choice. Also a good choice over hydro if you want to do it "cheap".

a 20mm thru axle dh hub should be plenty of beef.

Let me know exactly which parts you need and I'll see what I can come up with.

It was suggested to me by a friend that I trust who went from the Hydraulic units to the Avids that I would be better off.

More adjustments, same perches and levers that I am already using, straight forward, bulletproof and cheap.

Gaby, do the down hill hubs have to sit "into" a fork? the one I found (being repaired at the local shop) had little sleeves sticking out the side that I think is where you mounted it???

I think my axle is about 12mm, but I need to measure it.

I want a high quality, 20" rim, like the Apex I think it uses now, (or better) laced to a disc ready (standard ISO mount) hub with as thick of spokes as possible. I need for the axle through bolt to be 12MM or larger (to be confirmed prior to order)

I was finding some of the Avids on E-bay for about $100 pair new. I also think with the Avids or whatever I decide, that really, the trick is to get the fork modified up to accept the "standard" mount and the disc hub laced to the 20" wheel and accepting the axle and everything spaced. If I decide to go hydraulic later, it should be easy.

Input is appreciated.

Alan, Generally the hubs sit between the fork legs and not in them. The edges of the hubs that look like sleeves, act more like spacers between the legs.

DT Swiss

This link should take you to a picture of such a hub where the "spacers" are taperd. Might help visualize how it sits between the legs.

I'll get back with more info later...

• 2 months later...