Slow Leak After Installing New Tire

hugo

It’s been twice on 2 different almost brand new Sherco that I change the rear tire and get a slow leak after the work is done. I put some water on the wheel and see it’s slowly leaking air trough the bases of many spokes…

The internal rubber band seems in good condition, the rim is clean, I don’t get it…

Is there a trick when installing a new rear tubeless tire so you don’t face this problem ? I would like to avoid having to install a tube in it.

Thanks.

Hugo

Edited by hugo

I have replaced several Sherco rear tires/rim bands with mixed success. I soon learned that if it leaks, quit trying to make it perfect and shoot some ATV tire sealant (low pressure stuff and water soluble) into the tire. Fill the tire with air to 20 psi or so, ride around for 10 min and the leak should stop -- always has for me anyhow. When you change the tire again, the goop is easy to clean off the rim as it is water soluble.

It is normally caused by disturbing the rim band during the tire change and if it has slipped out just a bit on the edge it will leak.

if the band and spokes area was cleaned or is clean, you may be able to break the bead with a c-clamp, reach in with fingers and reposition the band to seal and air it back up while still on the bike.

I just had to do mine the same way last week! :D

I personally remove rim tape and very lightly but completely smear it on the 'underside' with 'sikaflex' (the black stuff used to fit bus windows)and then refit it to the wheel. Then I fit the tyre as normal and have never had a problem. Have done this two 3 bike in the last six years.

Cheers.

I did clean everything yesterday, the rim and the band which are both in excellent condition. I did only use the tire lube stuff that you normally use on the edge of the tire itself but not succes, it is still loosing air trough the spokes.

Haggis1:

That Sikaflex stuff is like a silicone sealant? I did a search and find it's a brand name so can you tell me which product you are using exactly? I would be giving it a try. Can it be found on this page: http://www.sikaindustry.com/ipd-transoem-sealing ?

Thanks.

I did clean everything yesterday, the rim and the band which are both in excellent condition. I did only use the tire lube stuff that you normally use on the edge of the tire itself but not succes, it is still loosing air trough the spokes.

Haggis1:

That Sikaflex stuff is like a silicone sealant? I did a search and find it's a brand name so can you tell me which product you are using exactly? I would be giving it a try. Can it be found on this page: http://www.sikaindustry.com/ipd-transoem-sealing ?

Thanks.

Haggis1:

Thanks.

Thats the stuff. unlike silicon it will adhere very well to the rubber where as silicon will not. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Trouble with using silicone sealant is that if rim distorts slightly after hitting a step or something the seal between the spoke and the rim gets broken.

The best solution is to remove the rim band and put some grease on the spoke nipple / rim interface and then put the rim band back on. It's always worked when I've done.

It was a tip passed on by a certain Mr Thorpe a few years ago.