Exploding Ruddy Fork !

magicmat

Right,

So im rebuilding my '92 GT25, ive been logging the engine on the mechanical section but the past two nights i've been taking them apart.

- Spring fork

- took the bleed screw off and pumped the fork...stupid...old minging old all over my work bench... clumpy oil.... bad stuff !

- took cap off,...more rubbish in there, and the plunger that screws into the chrom stachion ?? (spellt wrong) wasnt screwed in...hence why it didnt work properly

- ABSORBER FORK !! - this one is rock hard and i thought it was the fork with the spring in it...which had broken...it isnt.....

-...so take off the bleed screw...my little bro want to do it...fair do's....well it starts bubbling...then SHOCK !! ruddy thing starts SHOOTING OIL OUT !! :beer: every where, all over me my brother, the wall and the ceiling ! i couldnt believe it, funny now but the oil stank really bad !! ;)

-- ive got the forks apart, but the absorber im having problems with, got the top off, the dust seal, holding ring, and when i try to pull the forks apart to push the seal out, like i did on the other it wont come out !! am i doing something wrong??

i put alittle heat in it,....some penetrating oil and no avail....hmmm ??

Hi Matt.Are the forks upside downies and paiolies?,If so do as you were doing.Get the seal reall hot so it goes really soft,then tap the fork with a copper mallet.It will come out.If i remember,they were not held by a screw at the bottom,but yours might be different.

When you put them back together,each fork will have its own qty of oil.

Steve

Cheers FF and Steve,

I did this in my dads unit ! ;):beer: ...he was alright about it.

FF there isnt any bolt i can see, on the outside of the fork is just the bleed screw. I can't see a big bolt like there is on the Pro Forks,

Steve, yes there upside down.. paiolies. what a daft idea....upside down you'll scratch them on a rock !

Ill take them into <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> as i want the seals ordering.

But i dont want Ginner to do it because,

-I want to do it, i want to learn

-its fun

-And im doing this bike to a budget and already spent