Ty250r Rebuild

kuelmuel

Many of you will have read about my old problematic TY250S, after a year of trying I managed to almost fix it, still oils its plug up but takes weeks to do so. Any way that one may be for sale now because I have bought a new one! It is a 1988 TY 250 R with a talon drilled disc conversion, I have just finished renovating it, tell me what you think...post-2604-1151066711.jpg

Edited by KuelMuel

..I have just finished renovating it, tell me what you think...post-2604-1151066711.jpg

I think it's going to turn a lot of heads!! ;) It looks great! Any more pics you have would always be welcomed :lol: I love the bike!! :beer:

p.s. - AMAZING.

Thanks for that! :beer: (Not bad for a fifteen year old, twenty quids worth of paint and a lot of polishing!). Here's another pic, pity there's a size limit or i'd upload a loadmore at a decent resolution... ;)

here's the side view

I've worked it out now, you can only add 200kb each time, but just keep clicking on add reply

Just in case anyone's wondering, that silencer is about 3-4 years old, I just cleaned it with celulose thinners and polished it three times using Autosol, all the other plain aluminium bits I could find got the same treatment.

:lol:

post-2604-1151156474.jpg

post-2604-1151156626.jpg

post-2604-1151156759.jpg

post-2604-1151157146.jpg

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing :lol: The silencer looks great all pollished up! Autosol is amazing stuff!! once again, the bike looks great! ;)

do you plan on building another anytime soon? haha When I finished my TY I felt like I had the buildbug and needed to get my hands dirty again! lol

:beer:

Actually i do have an idea for a Yam special up my sleve, but its just finding the money to buy all the bits for it... I'm saying no more at the moment! check up in a few years time I'll post some pics if I ever actually complete it...

The only parts I have changed on this bike are the levers and I have put all stainless bolts in it (nicked from dad's works!) when I got it it was mechanically in good condition, just needed everything re-greasing and all the roller bearings freeing off in the rear shock links, as they were well rusted up! The rest is just paint, stickers and a lot of polish. If you looking for stainless bolts then try any decent hardware store, they are actually quite cheap and look mint, especially once you've re-painted the engine casings.

Just a little piece of advice, never over tighten the two nuts that hold the exaust system on, because the stud can get pulled out, which strips the thread out of the barrel, this was the only problem with this bike really! It hadn't been inserted all the way so I screwed it all the way in and lock-tighted it. The same goes for cylinder head and base bolts, on my last bike (TY250S) two of these were stripped out, so beware of over tightening, use a torque wrench if possible.

I quite fancy a TY350, are they much heavier and/or more powerful than the 250? I think I've been bitten by the TY bug, I'm 15 and have had a TY175, a TY250S and now the TY250R! Maybe the next step is a 350, can anyone tell me what the advantages are of a pinky over an R in this condition? (A bargin at

Edited by KuelMuel

You may know this already but the 350 was not imported in to the UK through the dealer network. The bike I've got was brought over privately from the States, so you may struggle to find one. Having never riden a 250 I can't make a direct comparison but I found the 350 to have lots of grunt and torque. Can't see it being much heavier either.

did anyone see that ty350 on ebay.com that had 118 miles on it, went for about $2000? now that was a minter. If anyone has already imported a TY350 and is looking to sell it, speak up now i might be interested...if anyone wants to buy my TY175 then speak up cos its surplus at the moment...

• 6 months later...

I've a bunch of TY350. I've never ridden a 250, and would really like to.

250's weren't imported here, but through canada.

I've been told the 250 revs quicker and more responive and more modern like.

350 is pig slow, and goes flat on top end, not rev at all due the the restricted space around transfer ports. On the other hand, I ride everything in second gear. if there is a long climb, pick 3 or 4 and let it lug. trimming the flywheel helps, but still sluggish response.

I have 4 piston front disc from GG, will be lowering the pegs on the frame. the rest is about normal. clutch extender, flywheel trim, etc.

weight should be almost identical. all the parts are same. 350 aluminum barrel with chrome liner, I think 250 has cast iron liner or barrell

personally, I think I'd stay with the 250, especially that beauty. looks reallynice.

kcj