06 Clutch Slip

stump magnet

just wandered if anyone else's 06 290 has a small amount of clutch slip in 4th and particulary 5th gear when rolling on and off the throttle on the road, mine has done this since new and hasnt got any worse in 9 months 1st through to 3rd are fine just wandering if the slip is due to the engine torque overcoming the lighter clutch springs fitted to this years bike in high gear high grip situations? gearbox oil is changed every third ride with putoline medium gear oil by the way

i believe I understand what you are referring to. Not sure exactly how much more prone the '06 is than prior years, but you are correct in that there is a certain amount of slippage there which is normal.

The same thing will occur when you rev the crap out of it and dump the clutch for a big third gear splatter!

So the pros use a modified clutch basket that has been some holes drilled so that the oil has a place to go more quickly. and possibly heavier or shimmed springs, as they want to go"right NOW".

As the Sherco clutch is overall considered one of the best around, many of these mods may not suit riders in other situations.

I will admit that I have been experimenting a bit with the use of Mobil1 synthetic ATF in the box which seems to quicken the "bite" a bit, yet still provides a good feel for the sweet spot when you need to slip it to find grip.

A custom blend of the MTF and ATF type oils could be done as well, to suit!

Hope that helps.

:thumbup:

MC