Valve Adjustment Question

wardo

I am digging into my bikes first valve adjustment and have a question that those of you who have done it before may be able to answer. Firstly, everything is relatively straight forward, and relatively easy to access. The question comes from trying to find TDC. When I align the T with the hole in the cases the rockers do not move freely, if I rotate it another 360 degrees I still cannot move them. I have tried to slide a feeler gauge in at both positions assuming one of them is TDC, but it is really tight. Is it possible that my valves are so tight that I cannot get a feeler gauge in an TDC? Other than being able to freely move the rocker arms can I verify that I am at TDC? What am I missing here? Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Wardo

I would take out spark plug, put finger over sparkplug hole turn over engine, when finger is being pushed by air, that is the compression stroke. Four stroke has two tdc's compression and split overlap, you need the compression stroke.

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately there seems to be air coming out every time.... What really baffles me is that once in every 720 degress the T has to be at TDC. If I try feeler gauges at both positions one of them should have at least a little gap, neither does. I know I am missing something as the bike starts and runs fine, so it can't be so far off. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Wardo

OK, I solved my own problem. I used a breaker bar with a 12mm to slowly turn the CS sprocket with the bike in gear and the plug out. It turned out that when using the kickstarter to find TDC, I was going it past it. The T would come and go without my observing it. The breaker bar allowed me to control things allot more. It is of course really not that difficult, and my valves were perfectly fine, so no adjustment needed.

Regards,

Wardo