Spark Plug Problem

movingtarget

Main jet is 150, pilot is 30. Gave the carb a good clean out with wd40 and an airgun(airline not rifle :rolleyes: ). Huge bit of peat came out of a tunnel that leads to the long brass pipe, I think its to do with the choke. Not much dirt anywhere else in the carb. Need to wait for more plugs, but hopefully it'll work right now, if not I will check the exhaust... if not that then I havnt a clue what to do. Could moving the clip on the throttle needle back to the middle position be all that was needed?

Hopefully after all this it'll be a mean clean neither rich or lean machine :hyper:

I had noticed before there was a spark jumping between the metal bit of a black box and the frame, this black box is supposed to be secured on the same frame which holds the top of the radiator. I used a long bit of insulated wire, one end on the box and another on the frame to earth it. Got some spark plugs today too and the bike seems to be workin fine, only took it out for 20 minutes though as its blowing a gale here with lots of rain. I got soaked :rolleyes: Hopefully the problem is now sorted.

One question though, the little screw on the carb which I have set at 2 turns out(is it called the mixture screw?), doesnt seem very secure. In fact even with tape over it I think it still came a few turns out by itself. Whats the solution? Ptfe? Dont want to lose another one.

Damn....

Same thing happened again today, rode for an hour then the bike felt like it was loosing power in the upper revs in fourth and fifth gear. Then it really went bad, misfiring and backfiring. New plug and its fine.

3 things I'm going to check next. Exhaust system, timing, and inflow of petrol. Going to take the bowl off the carb, turn the fuel on and see how fast it comes out. Not sure what to look for with the timing though, anybody have any links to sites that shows how to set the timing up? Or could you explain it maybe?

I'm sorry for spamming this thread, but it might be helpfull for somebody else who gets this same problem in the future.... I know its made me to be moody as hell recently!

Will try stretching the spring, sounds like that should do the trick for the mixture screw.

Edited by MovingTarget

• 2 weeks later...

Guys! & Beta riders.

Try this when checking any potential spark plug shorting or jumping, do it late at night in a VERY dark area.

You would be amazed at the shorts that appear even in a good running bike.

Start the bike get close and watch for little glows of light that are jumping to the frame etc :D

Cheers

BillyT :beer:

Edited by BillyT