Adding Lights To A 1974 Tl125

I'm looking for input regarding adding lights to my new-to-me TL125.

I see a different alternator and a light set-up under "optional parts" in the microfiche, but have no idea if those parts are still available, and they're pricey!

Can someone tell me if those parts are available, if parts from other bikes would work, or give me any leads towords getting this done?

Suppose I should mention that I'm in the states, where the TL125 only had lights for one year, making finding used parts unlikely.

Edited by 309

I had a TL125 in the seventies,it had no provision for lights, to enter it in enduros it needed lights, I just wound some copper wire around the flywheel, magneto, or whatever the going round bit was, it was pretty obvious how to do it once you took the cover off and no other parts were needed. it produced power but since I didn't fit any other bits I had to run 24v bulbs and keep the revs down while the lights were scrutineered, of course a regulator wound solve that.

Cheers

Hans

I added lights to my first TL (a '73; franken-bike was my name for it because it rose from two dead bikes) by first studying the existing magneto coil, trying to guess how many wraps it had, etc. That gave me some idea, after using the voltmeter, how many more windings would be likely to create about 13v. There was already an unused stator, so all that was needed was to wind it for headlight use. A trip to the electronics supply, and an hour or so winding the appropriate magnet wire around the unused stator gave me the power source I needed. A subsequent trip to the motorcycle scrapyard provided the donor lamp and bracketry. It actually worked OK without a voltage regulator, but after a number of months, the bulb did eventually burn out, so a voltage regulator would seem to be the wise route to take.

Obviously had too much spare time back then while in school.

Edited by mitche