Cycle World

toofasttim

A few months ago cycle world ran a test of the new scorpas and Paul Dean (who used to ride trials in the seventies) added his observations of the sport over the last 30 years. Has anyone got a copy and if so is it possible to scan it in and send it to me?

Much appreciated

TFT

The comments about how Trials riders back then did lots of damage to the sport in North America.

How true.

I grew up in Central BC, around 500 miles north of Vancouver, and Trials was a lot of fun then. There were active clubs in Prince George and Quesnel. Over 10 events per year with 20 to 30 riders in many events. Then Yamaha stopped bringing in bikes and the local dealer wanted them and the clubs folded.

There was a Trials club in Winnipeg. I think it has since folded. It had even hosted some national rounds.

In Canada, lots of good Trials riding area, and most people including motorcyclists don't have a clue what Trials is.

Trials is such a potentially fun and interesting unique sport. It could be dramatically more popular in North America without the huge crowds and lineups that were feared so long ago. It's always been a long way from this state. While the sport will not die here it is much closer to death than overcrowding.

Having established clubs fold and poor turnouts in many events is not a better option. Recently there were National championships for Canada held in Quebec. Nobody from Alberta or either coast showed up. What kind of a National Championship is that when Canadas best riders are far more interested in the USA Championships?

Is it any wonder that the FIM wants to find other places to host World rounds than Canada and USA? Better to send the World Rounds to places with growth potential.