Help With My Gas Gas 280

leedo55

hi i own a gas gas 280 o2 model and the problem is when i kick the bike over and pull in the clutch as soon as i put it into gear the bike begins to move forward without any throttle.even after leaving it to warm up it still does this.it is impossible to stand still on the bike with the clutch in as it just keeps trickling forward and the only way to stop it is to hold on the front brake.

any help would be great

thanks

make sure there is some slack at the lever end.

make sure it is bled properly with clean fluid

change the gearbox oil

ensure the bike is warmed up

My 2002 280 Txt Pro used to be like this

I fitted a new set of plates but it didn't need it. If you do make sure you have a sharp chisel & a new set of cap heads for the basket. If you do strip it check the top hat clearance in the operating plunger. details on gasgas.com

Once you have done all of the above it will probably drag for the 1st hour or so then settle down. when settled dont fiddle with it!

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

ok back to square 1

the bike runs great when i bleed the clutch

leave it standing 1 or 2 days and when i get it out the clutch is completley gone again.

do i need new clutch plates ?

I don't think it's the clutch plates. It sounds more like your getting air in the system after it sits....Are your Banjo fittings tight on master and slave ends? I suppose the seals on your master end could need replacing. I had a similar problem on my 02 but it turned out I had not bled all the air out of it. I'd try bleeding again and see if your clutch comes back....if so than after sitting it goes away, Air may be getting back in. I kept bleeding mine until all the fluid was replaced and it hasn't given me any more problems. Just my 2 cents....

Hi

I have blead the clutch about 7 times now everytime i do it the clutch works mint.As soon as i leave the bike standing a few days its gone again when i get it out.The seals are good and the banjo fittings are tight.

what else could be causing this

its doing my head in as im not very good at fixing bikes

I have just had the same problem with mine :rolleyes:

It was the seals in the slave cylinder that had worn slightly allowing air in but not to leak fluid so like you was having trouble diagnosing the problem. (see water pump thread for related advice :o ) I have been told that using synthetic oil in the gearbox causes problems with the seals, not sure about this but there will be someone on this forum that does :D

I had this problem with my 02 280,I tried new o rings from Gas gas (fitted with surgical cleanliness)but within a short period it was just the same as before.So I tried some more, but noticed the o rings were thinner than the originals,Gasgas Uk said they had been changed for an o ring that was also used on the newer model,but should work ok & be fine.So I tried this newer pair, clutch was just the same.The only way I got around the problem was to fit a new clutch cover for an 06 model.That did cure the problem.

hope this helps

I had this problem with my 02 280,I tried new o rings from Gas gas (fitted with surgical cleanliness)but within a short period it was just the same as before.So I tried some more, but noticed the o rings were thinner than the originals,Gasgas Uk said they had been changed for an o ring that was also used on the newer model,but should work ok & be fine.So I tried this newer pair, clutch was just the same.The only way I got around the problem was to fit a new clutch cover for an 06 model.That did cure the problem.

hope this helps

I think changing the cover as you stated was/is the ultimate cure for what ails the 02's. I've talked to a few dealers and most stated the ideal situation is the later model clutch cover which has a smaller slave and better seals. I was told using that in conjunction with a bigger (Magura) master yields exceptional clutch control. I guess I've been lucky and once bled properly, haven't had an more problems.

The clutch since I put the new 06 cover on has been great, no more disappearing clutch overnight! most annoying though since there appeared to precious little wear on the post that the o rings fit upon, it was just like the o rings were incorrect size, I had tried o rings from an agricultural dealer before biting the bullet for a new cover, they lasted better than the Gas Gas o rings but swelled within couple of weeks & made the clutch quite heavy due to being a gnats to thick. It may be possible if I looked hard enough & in the right place to get some coated o rings for air conditioning or something like that, but i getting was fed up of taking the damn thing to pieces.

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the help

im happy to say the clutch is fixed

after bleeding AGAIN and checking all fittings were tight i put it away expecting the clutch to be gone again in a few days but this time it hasnt. FINGERS CROSSED it stays like this.

also 1 other small question

i was reading someones post about the bike being checked over before a trial and that they check for throttle springback. My throttle does not spring back at all (SHOULD IT) i have been riding like this for months and it hasnt really bothered me.

Yes it should! I'd check that the left side of the grip isn't rubbing against the throttle body or that the throttle isn't pushed too far onto the handlebar letting the right hand inner edge of the grip rub against the end of the bar. Might be worth taking the throttle off altogether and cleaning eveything inside and the bar under the throttle tube.

HTH,

Roy.

:D

what if you fall off ?? the revs just go straight up !! ??

The clutch casing on the 03 model and above have ribs to direct oil into the clutch and is supposed to be alot better.

And the seals in the clutch slave apparenlty swell with synthetic oil, thats why your supposed to only put mineral in the clutch system.

Good luck with the bike, fingers crossed !!