Classic Trials: More Fun Than Modern Trials?

mr clean

Which kind of Trials is the most fun to Ride?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Trials is the most fun to ride?

• Twinshock No Stop No Disks
    • Modern Stop, Hop Disc Mono
    • Stadium Trials
    • Pre-65
    • Sidecar
    • Bicycle
    • What is Trials?
    • Watching the OJ Simpson Trial

Quite frankly I find me old TL-250 to be one the most fun Trials bikes I have ever ridden.

I think back that I had more fun in No Stop Twinshock than the modern stuff.

Cheaper too!

Don't forget to state your reasons why! :blink:

Edited by Mr Clean

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For club/centre trials, I preferred being allowed to stop feet-up/roll back without penalty. It was only to stop the top guys having ever-more dangerous sections, that things were changed. True, a time limit would have to be set, yet this was never a prob in club trials.

I think the reason I prefer this is the same reason some will say they prefer "twin-shock"- that is because this was the style/type of riding when we were young and in our prime! Yes, I too have ridden some modern trials on a twin-shock Fantic, and my first few bikes were all twin-shock (TY80, Mont 123, etc). If you ride the modern class on a twin-shock you get a kind of perverse pleasure from doing "OK". In reality it takes the pressure off- you can always say to yourself- "oh-well, I'm ona twin-shock" rather than "Oh sh*t, I am crap after all, on my

Shame i couldnt vote for two entries as i prefer Pre 65 and twinshock no stop no discs. However i may also as my post in aircooled monos suggests get an aircooled mono. I think after all the advice given i will settle on a Yam but the problem now seems to be the prices are climbing quite rapidly. Oh well just have to keep looking.

Nice to see this section Classic has been put up and i am sure it will be very popular. :blink:

wow twinshock's leading the way in the poll :blink: .

my old twin shocker fantic would'nt swap it for the world,although if fantic ever have there come back with a big engine trial's bike i might just be falsed to knock on my bank manager's door,thats the only modern bike i would ride if i had the choice.

My last modern Trials Bike was a GasGas.

Then I came across a Fantic 240 (very rare here) Twinshock. It was an excellent bike, but in need of much TLC, and I lack the tool skills and especially facilities to do a proper resoration. Outlaw Dave has the bike now, so its being put to good use!

I was very pleased with the bike, and it had much more power, and better quality power than the big bore Gas Gas! I also found that it was more fun to ride than the modern iron. This surprised me.

Then I came across an old Honda TL-250, in great condition, not in need of any fixing. What a blast! Definetly less competetive, only because of its weight, but so much more fun!!!

So what I see is that I have a bike which brings me more smiles per dollar than anything else I have ever owned.

In 1987 I bought a Beta TR-34, the first twin disk tubeless Trials bike. I HATED IT! It was the most unrideable piece of crap that I have ever owned. I was on it every day for 3 months and could not gt used to it.

In between the above Fantic 240 and Honda TL250, I found a cheap 89 TR34C. Much better than the 87, but after two rides I got rid of it.

Also I see that Monoshocks are high maintenance items, and lots of people have endless trouble with hydraulic disc brakes. I also view liquid cooling on trials bikes as a stupid development. I remember SWM Rotax engines would never have cooling problems, Honda TLM's did.

Shut off the SWM and in a minute it was cool to the touch. The Honda TL stays hot for a long time, as does the TLM! The use of Liquid cooling is compensation for inefficient metallurgy and cooling fin design on two strokes. I have had Fantic 240 and 303, no cooling problems on those bikes. My Montesa Cotas, old twinshockers, did not cool so efficiently, Yamaha TY's also did not cool as well as the Fantics. The SWM was very impressive with its ability to stay cool.

Ironic that Aprilia went with LC first, on the motor that needed it least! Liquid cooling adds unneccesary weight, complexity and expense to a bike, plus requirement for another environmentally toxic chemical. A far better approach would have been for manufacturers to make their bikes cool efficiently like the SWM and Fantic.

For modern bikes discs and monoshock are neccessary for competetive reasons. Liquid cooling is just BS.

<>

For the fun factor, as I no longer think I am going to become a top flight pro rider, I think I will stay with twinshocks and ride vintage trials instead.

Also, if Fantic or good 4 stroke twinshocks could be purchased brand new I would buy one of those before I would buy a modern bike. I don't care too much for the headaches of disc brakes, monoshocks, and liquid cooling.

<>

Also, way back when, I was getting good at no stop Trials and the stop and hop roll backwards type of riding was starting. I found that in a lot of sections, if you couldn't back up and bounce around you had to either pivot turn or take a 5. I liked trials less because of the change from no stop. I spent a lot of time learning these new techniques which I found more annoying than enjoyable.

I noticed some riders that enjoyed the no stop Trials quit riding because they couldn't adapt to the new style. When the transition was going on there wasn't a no stop class.

I know that I would have gone much further in trials if there was always a no stop class, and good four stroke bikes were available. I am glad that vintage trials is popular enough to have regular events to go to.

:o Scorps SY /TYS 125. Modern geometry and aircooled 4 stroke. = BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. :blink: An excellent twinshock could be built today, weight and geometry and power right . But a certain few (See other forums ) would not treat it as a "REAL" twinshock. So that is why THEY are changing steering angles and s/arm lengths and footpeg positions on the older bikes. Not to mention engine mods etc. I only spoke about fitting twinshocks to a TY Pinky and THEY were ranting. I will stick to my Scorpa for now. Thanks. Edited by bo drinker

Riding the Sherco 290 is way easier than the Armstrong 310 I use to have as a nipper ( amongst other bikes) but modern bikes suit my modern living i.e. I havent got the time to do the extensive maintenance :blink:

If I had the time it would be pre-65 by choice :o

bo drinker it is not against the law to fit twin shocks on your 270, if you want to fit them FIT THEM,

and enjoy yourself riding it. I always thought the sprit in trials was in the pub afterwards,

that should upset the P.C brigade. :blink:

:hyper: Twin shock nostop and hop is the life for me !!!! I rode my first event after a 30+ year absence from the sport , on my partially restored 83 240 pro . It was a modern event with only a couple of twinshocks present and I almost had to learn the rules all over again ! But I was back in my favorite pastime ever with both feetup and I had a ball !!! Now that my bike is in better shape and some of my skills have been practiced back into shape , I can't wait to ride some of the International Twin Shock Association Events this fall as finances permit ... And I owe alot of gratitude to all the folks on here for all the support and info I have recieved . !!

Thanks to all , Twin Shocks Rule (IMHO)

Glenn :thumbup::beer: