Classic Trials: More Fun Than Modern Trials?

mr clean

Which kind of Trials is the most fun to Ride?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Trials is the most fun to ride?

• Twinshock No Stop No Disks
    • Modern Stop, Hop Disc Mono
    • Stadium Trials
    • Pre-65
    • Sidecar
    • Bicycle
    • What is Trials?
    • Watching the OJ Simpson Trial

1 quick question.

I have an air cooled mono that is just desperate to get out of the shed.

Can anyone give me the dates of the remaining classic rounds which feature an air cooled mono round....when are they and where(club) ???.

P.S. - Hats off to Old trials fanatic for airing his honest opinion.At least his comments have got us all chatting on a decent thread rather than the usual ....I agree with everything ,everyone says for ever rubbish. :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 7: September 10th The Rosebowl Trophy Trial organised by Sutton Falcons MC. Permit No ACU 16054.

Sec of Meeting Greg Moor, 4 Aspley Road, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts, NG17 2DE

Tel 07771 853 787 E-mail suttonfalcons@hotmail.com

Entry Fee

For the past 20 years I have been organizing an event in Western Canada called the Outlaw Two Day Classic Trial - The foremat has never changed, we run Twinshock on Saturday with two lines "A" and "B" - then the Modern bikes on Sunday. - The concept has always been to run an event that is all about having fun with a lot of "Cleans" and all the riders going home with a smile. We give a discount to riders entered both days, and most riders camp out with their family at the location.

Because the Trial proved to be very popular, we now run a three event series and have included a youth trial which takes place around the camp site on the Saturday night. Suffice to say that this is the only Trials Series that is growing in numbers each year in this part of the World.

Not to get off topic, but how hard is it to get observers at twin shock trials?

Reason I ask, you see post about how hard it is to find observers in modern trials, and wondered if the observers prefer observing in a easier going enviroment, using the old no stop rules, and I would think for the most part the older generation of rider.

In our area, it's not so much the type of trial, as the type of rider that affects things (although they may be related). A lot of the classic bike trials seem to be middle aged to old aged blokes. The odd one might have his wife with him, and the odd enthusiast may turn up on a road bike to observe for example.

The modern trials have a fair few young lads with parents in tow, who are used to observing. We have a band of regular stalwart parents, plus a few of the aforementioned enthusiasts (For the locals, Tom Sagar doesn't often get to our trials these days, but his Gran and Grandad come to most trials to observe - Albert (dunno maybe 65-70) turns up on his road bike, most of the rest are parents.

Keep the youth coming and you've got ready made observers.

Edited by bikespace

Totally agree Bikespace. I've noticed the same in our area. I have mentioned it to a Clerk of the Course at one of the clubs i ride at. The problem there is that they are really a Classic bike club and cater for pre72 only and if he had his way the entry would be pre 65 four strokes only.

There is the problem. Few youngsters would want to let alone be able to ride a British bike of that age and only the teenagers and the bigger ones at that could ride the Spanish twinshocks that are allowed if "pre 72".

I proposed a TY175 / TL125 class firstly as an intro to get people as new members to the club but also to get some youth element not just as potential future riders but they also bring along a parent/guardian who could hopefully be roped in to observe.

So even if it is against the policy of the club i feel that a class should be included whenever possible for younger or new entrants to the sport to "have a go" thereby keeping the club boyant and the observer pool large.

The trail bike class would be an excellent addition to any pre65 club as the sections would not need to be any different and would be a cheap entry level to the sport.

Pre65 has become too expensive for a lot of people to compete in and eventually twinshocks, unfortunately, will go the same way i am afraid.

Anyway the posting was "Classic Trials More FUN than Modern Trials?" They can be if handled and promoted in the right way. That includes observers as an integral part of the event and encourageing a youth class is a good way to do it.

Good on yer Bikespace.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Pre65 has become too expensive for a lot of people to compete in and eventually twinshocks, unfortunately, will go the same way i am afraid.

Yep, everything goes full circle. One of the SWM's I ride with in vintage events was actively involved in "modern" trials when my local vintage series started. There were a lot of Bantams, Cubs, C-15s even Triumph twins out originally, but those bikes and riders are older and more valuable now (well the bikes at least!) while even the later twin shock two strokes like Ossa Plonkers, Montesa 247's , etc are rarer sightings...displaced more and more by even later twin shockers (Yamaha, SWM, etc) or even more recently by air-cooled monoshocks.

Sacriledge? Maybe, but times change and trials is too small around here to be turning people away. Perhaps (depending on location) some series aren't being forced yet but it's a simple matter of time. Add classes and cater to newer generations or whither on the vine. Last event, my Ariel and a Tiger Cub were the only pre-65 "classic" bikes out!