Ty250s Mono Help Please

old trials fanatic

Well i've gone and done it i've bought a TY250S mono. I know it's not the one to go for but

1. I couldnt afford a Pinky.

2. It was cheap.

3. Im a crap rider anyway so dont think the extra for a Pinky would make much difference.

4. If i find i enjoy it i can always sell it and buy a Pinky anyway.

So got loads of questions like: where is the best place to buy parts? What is the best silencer my old bike in the early 80's had a sort of roughly diamond shaped one that i got from Mick Andrews and ran really well with it. Can you still get them? I heard there was a mod to the front brake to make it better using a different brake plate. What was it from? My forks dont seem to have much travel,about 5.5", they are 29.5" long but have a long spacer tube fitted inside about 4" long is this right? are they getting coil bound? My Betors on the B40 are off an OSSA and they have 6.5" travel. What mods are best? I seem to remember a different airbox top plus jets from John Shirt were fitted to my old bike too. Any ideas. Finally for now where can i get a complete exhaust from? mine is a bit knocked about.

I will try to post a piccy but i'm not very good with confusers.

post-431-1155405754.jpg

Heres the other side.

I know it looks rough but might clean up and it will do to start with.

One thing i forgot to ask was i hear spokes are made from unobtanium. What do you guys do then ???

post-431-1155406097.jpg

Edited by Old trials fanatic

BVM moto or J.K.HIRST for all your new bits and the guys at Ellastone Off-road for all your other bits,

eg wheels,exhausts,suspension bits, you shoud start there first as they are only down the road from yourself.

wes silencers are avalable from bvm, all phone numbers in tmx.

frount forks, 280cc of light fork oil then if i was you, i would take 1 inch at a time off your fork spacers until

your happy with them, if you can locate a wheel builder he should be able to make you one of these Z

spokes, or see ellaston for some s/h wheels,and a air box top off the R model, make sure you fit the air

filter dry, no oil. jets go down to a 38 pilot, make sure your floatlevel is 21mm, b6es plug 0.7mm,if you

can get hold repsol 10w 30 for the motor, it makes the gearbox and clutch work better than 10w 40,

with time and a lot of tlc you could turn your ty into a great little trials iron.

p.s best investment, get a owners service manual.

I see on the motor housing 800cc is this the amount of oil for the gearbox??? Have done the forks as suggested with 280ml seem a bit spongy, they have Air Valves on the top of the forks should there be a air charge as well or is this an after market modification. The spacers in mine are 73.5 mm if that is of any assistance - they do not appear to be modified. Thanks for help so far guys. Steve.