Rev 3 Clutch Problems

leggins

aha,just read this thread,i actually just bought my first trial bike on saturday! just happened to be a beta rev3...bought it off a local roadracer,well now ex roadracer,never even started it up to try it! very trusting! any hoow,was in the garage and started the bike knocked her into 1st,shot off across the garge bang into the door,oops,thought what the xxxx?ripped off no ****in clutch,but now i see it seems to be a little tech glitch for beta owners :banana2:

Great timing on brining this thread back up!! My relitively new to my 04 200 has just started this nasty habit. I'll try changing the tranny fluid and also use the other techniques if neccesary.

aha,just read this thread,i actually just bought my first trial bike on saturday! just happened to be a beta rev3...bought it off a local roadracer,well now ex roadracer,never even started it up to try it! very trusting! any hoow,was in the garage and started the bike knocked her into 1st,shot off across the garge bang into the door,oops,thought what the xxxx?ripped off no ****in clutch,but now i see it seems to be a little tech glitch for beta owners :banana2:

I don't think this is specific to Betas, I've owned a sherco which had the same problem, and my mates Montesa does it. I think it is just trials bike clutches!

Bob

I'm on my 3rd Rev-3 Beta (02, 04, 06). This routine has worked for me:

1) On the fiber plates there is a lot of excess glue between each of the fiber tabs, using a small screwdriver scrape the excess glue out from between each tab on each plate (takes about 2 hours to do) - this will let the oil flow much better and reduces the clutch drag significantly.

2) use Maxima 75-wt gear oil

3) On startup, give it a little throttle and upshift to second gear to loosen the plates when cold

• 6 months later...
Slamming gears into mesh doesn't make me comfortable about what it does to the transmission.

I just do the std Beta drill: Before starting, pull the shifter up into highest gear. Hold clutch lever in, rock bike back and forth until it breaks loose. Shift back down, find Neutral (very important step!), then start the bike.

I think I've found an even easier method:

- put the bike in first gear

- keep the clutch in and rock the bike until it unsticks

- still keep the clutch in and start the bike in gear

- ride off as normal

If the clutch refuses to unstick when you rock the bike then this isn't going to work, but it's been good for me so far. No messing about, nocrashing of gears. :closedeyes:

Rock it! With the fuel tap on !

This means your steed is much more likely to start 1st time from stone cold thus impressing all those around you :closedeyes:

Don't compress your clutch springs any more than you need to.