1997 Beta Techno Cooling Fan & Kill Switch Wiring

brucey

As it says in the title;

I helped my son remove the handlebar lighting switch assembly and a vast amount of wiring on his recently aquired 1997 Beta Techno.(ex Ashley Newbry) We fitted a Sammy Miller Kill Switch which I have wired one wire to a red/white wire in the loom (as this appears to be the kill switch in the wiring diagram). The other wire, I took to earth. This seems to work o.k. but other topics on this forum say connect the kill switch to the black wire from the coil!

The other problem I have is that the wiring diagram in the manual doesn't seem to correspond to the wire colours on the bike!

I have wired the fan to a yellow wire comming out of the main connector block (from the magneto?) which turns on & off ok with the thermostat. The problem is the bike has become hard to start, especially when hot and the fan is trying to run. There is an 'Adjuster' in the wiring diagram that shows a black wire comming from it. I am assuming this is a voltage regulator. Threre is a little black thing on the bike with a single yellow wire comming from it which is not currently connected to anything! Should this be in the circuit somewere to regulate the voltage to the fan?

I have also modified the drillings in the carb as per an American website. This seems to have resolved the problem of fuel pouring out the overflow pipe.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Bruce.

Anybody out there?

Surley someone has removed the lights and lighting loom!

I usually get an instant response on the Caterham 7 website but unfortunaley they don't know much about Beta's!

Bruce.

The trials world is kinda focused on the Pre-65 and SSDT right now. Traditionally the forums do go a bit quieter in terms of technical knowledge during this period as they're two of the biggest international events in the calendar and many of our members are either riding, observing or spectating at one or both of them. Brain drain I think they call it! Might take a week or so till everybody's home and caught up, but I'm sure somebody can answer your question.

Andy,

Thanks for the information.

Funny people these pre 65 trials chaps! I built a top spec Cub a couple of years ago and sold it it fund my Caterham 7. Sammy Miller was even intrested in it when I took it to the Telmag with a 'for sale' sign. Some dealer eventually bought it for a Spanish guy who thought his mechanics (who were flying over in advance) could use it for spares for the classic 6 day trial!!! Obviously serious stuff!

My son and his 2 friends are ready to join a club and start doing trials. This is why I want his bike as reliable as possible. I usually lay out practice sections where we ride. One of his friends can only be described as exceptional considering the length of time he has been practicing (he is also very good at push bike trials stuff). They are all 17years old, but because all 3 of them ride 250's, I guess they can't ride Kent Youth Club Trials. I'll probably get them to join a small (friendly?) club so they can start on the Adult Novice Sections this summer.

I'll wait in anticipation. Can you recommend a shop I can ring for advice?

Bruce.

Edited by brucey

Betarev3,

Many thanks for the info, I'll give them a call next Tesday. I visited BVM some years ago when I was on holiday in Stonehouse Glos.

My son & his 2 friends joined the Barham Club (Kent) today which has swollen their numbers to38! They will stamp their ACU licence applications and then we can choose a suitable first ever club trial! I really hope they enjoy themselves as they can only improve with competition experience. Having a reliable bike will be a major factor.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed Betarec3's advice and rang BVM.

A very helpful gut advised I connect the yellow wire comming from the 'adjuster' (reguator) in parallel with the fan. After doing this, the bike seems to start a lot better when hot (fan running).

I'll monitor it during the next few times out, but it appears the problem is sorted.

Many thanks for your help.

Bruce.