Xl185 Into Tl125

bigmike1961

I'm planning to fit a Honda xl185 into my tl125 frame. Can the xl185

cdi ignition be wired without a battery? Which wires go where. The 185

engine came with a very tattly frame & running gear so I do have the

old wiring loom to cannibalise.

Thanks

Mike Hammond

I put a 185 in a TL years ago and enjoyed the bike for years. Get a wiring diagram and just hook up the wires necessary for spark. You do not need a battery. The only modification I remember doing to make things fit was to move the rear brake pedal pivot back in the frame. You need to make a little space for the decompression release stuff that they used in the 185 and 200. I did not hook up the decompression cable and , in fact, left the arm off at the case.

Thanks DonD.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

What gearing did you run. Does the clutch & primary gear swap over from the TL or did you run with the standard 185 primary gear?

How did you move the brake pivot? Was it just cut out and moved back onto the frame tube and re-welded?

Cheers Mike

I did not change anything in the engine. I just switched to an appropriate countershaft sprocket. I can't remember which size now but it was probably the same size as the Tl usually comes with. The brake pivot has to be cut off the frame and welded in furthur to the back. Test fit the engine to see where it needs to go and allow enough room to attach the brake arm and rod. I remember putting mine too close and it was always hard to work on and get at. You may want to extend your brake lever if you put the pivot furthur back.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning to use the 12 tooth sprocket in conjunction with the 60 tooth rear and see how that goes.

Had one trial fitting, no photos. The rear of the frame needs a little grinding and the rear brake pivot does indeed need moving. I was planning to move it up the frame tube and lengthen the brake lever to compensate. I'll take some photos when the work finally gets underway. I've still got to sort the lack of spark in the direct wiring out yet.

• 3 months later...

After a minor diversion with my Scorpa cooling fan I found some time to look at the wiring for the CDI ignition wiring without a battery. Turned out to be pretty simple using the Clymer Manual and unpicking the old wiring loom. Turns out to be the same wiring as for the 1981 XR200.

I found some 10mm OD tube with a 1mm wall thickness to sleeve the rear mounting holes in the cases to save re-drilling the holes in the frame.

i put an xl 185 engine in an ossa frame many years ago,

asbuiltnopaintjobmysonholdingitup.jpg

this is when assembled and unpainted.

rhsrear.jpg

i finnished it in lime green, so i could stand out when my wife watches me.

the engine fitted quite well and despite a few teething troubles went quite well.

it cost me approx

The Ossa/Honda looks good.

Made a bit of progress with my build - built a cradle the the engine can bolt into and be turned over on the kickstart. Wired up the ignition gave it a good kick and ... nothing, no spark.

Second engine had some major timing issues - about 90 degrees out. re-timed it but no spark and not much compression either. sucks good through the inlet manifold and then blows equally hard through the inlet manifold! Major tear-down needed I think. Should I buy a new CDI unit or the pick-up coil unit that lives in the head?

Which is the more likely to fail? I've a new ignition coil and used two different pick-up coil units one in each engine

Ok got it running now - missed the earth from the CDI unit. XR wiring diagram shows it going just to the kill switch and the XL wiring diagram shows it connected to the frame earth. Tried it the latter way and it fired straight up in the test cradle.

Edited by BigMike1961

• 4 months later...

• 4 weeks later...