Hello From Washington State

traintracker

Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I am trying to get back into trials. I have been on motorcycles for 40 year and trials bikes for a good share of that but in 2002 was involved in a serious streetbike accident that has left me paralized in my ankles and feet. I stopped riding trials at that time but returned to off-road riding via a KTM with a Revloc auto clutch and moving the rear brake to where the clutch lever had been. I recently aquired and rebuilt a 95 Gas Gas JT35 to try to see if this sport is possible for me. A front brake master cylinder was purchased via ebay and installed backwards on the clutch side of the handlebar with the control lever modified so that I can push it with my thumb underneath the grip. The only problem I have is that this master cylinder does not generate enough pressure to really make much difference. You can pretty much lock a front brake with one or two fingers so I imagine a thumb is capable of the pressure needed for this. The master cylinder comes from a Yamaha TTX 225, I would guess a quasi-off-road motorbike. I have bled this brake system and am pretty confident no air exists in the line. Does anybody have an idea for getting this more in line with the needs for trials without great expense? I would love to have a "Clake" but that is over $1,100 Austrailian and so probably close to a $1,000 US. I am open to any suggestions and it is good to be back on a trials bike even if intimidating with 7 years absence and new dissabilities. Steve, Walla Walla, Washington

I have a friend with 4 stroke Scorpa that put a Rekluse clutch on it and then put the rear brake line to the clutch master cylinder. That was made easy by the fact that the Rekluse clutch from the Yamaha WR250F fit right on. However, if you can find a Rekluse that would fit, it would be more reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, It's Jeff from INTA

I'm not sure if we've met. I see you're on our mailing list and I know we have friends in common. If you like the auto clutch idea there is a guy, I think he is Idaho, who will custom build an auto clutch for most any bike if you send him your clutch. A friend of mine has one on his dual sport, I can get you the name if you can't find it. It may even be the same guy who built your KTM clutch.

When I started riding Trials I rode the intermediate class with a guy who was missing his right leg. He rode without his prosthesis. His rides were mostly either cleans or fives, but he had quite a few cleans. I believe he was from Oregon. His dog ran the loop with him. As far as I remember he rode without a rear brake.

The JT35s I rode had kind of a rough erratic bottom end. Perhaps another bike with a smoother bottom end, not prone to stalling, might feel more comfortable with little or no rear brake.

Hope to see you in the sections soon.

Jeff

Edited by motovita

• 3 weeks later...

To Jeff from INTA, I look forward to meeting you. I would be interested in talking with someone that actually has an auto clutch on a trials bike. My KTM is fairly smooth on take off with the revloc, but still seems like it would just lack the finess need for trial, as well as the fact that there are time you just creep along with the clutch out at walking speed. Although engagement can be adjusted, it seems like have to be slower than idle speed.

Someone commented on the cost of the Clake out of Austrailia, They said $1180 Austrailian currency. I checked the exchange rate and on that day it was just under $1000 USD. Add to that some sort of import duty and Sales tax. That is a lot of money. I dont know who sell them in the USA. They are pretty trick and may be the ticket if I could afford it. Traintracker

• 3 weeks later...