Keeping The Tlr200 Street Legal

scooterspal

I'd be interested to know how many of you have kept your TRL200 a street legal bike?

I plan on doing it for two reasons. First, so I can ride the bike legally on the street. It's seems a shame not to let folks see it and I would venture to guess it makes for a very nice ride what with the large tires and all. I have yet to ride so this is only my assumption.

Second, should I change the registration from street legal to off road (ATV plate) I'm not sure the DMV (motor vehicle office) will allow me or anyone else to change it back.

What do others think?

I had my TLR200 Street legal for a while as a back up for my Ninja. Then my Sherco died and I had to ride trials with something, My wife said I had to take off all the lights so I did not destroy them. I am moving away from riding on the road and have decided I want to set up my TLR200 Reflex for trials competition.

My impressions of the TLR200 on the street.

Is so much easier to balance at stop signs and traffic signals than my Ninja. (ya know trials riders like to keep their feet on the pegs)

I got really strange looks when it was 32degrees F out and everyone is scraping their windshields while I scrape off my seat.

Never used 1st gear on the street just too low, took off in 2nd all the time,

Top speed was 50MPH. (with a tail wind and going down hill :mellow: )

Seat not very comfortable for more than about 15 miles.

Really tough to resist the urge to ride over rocks and in ditches that I saw on the side of the road on my way to and from work.

I think I have a 10 tooth front sprocket so that may have reduced the top speed, I think stock is 11 tooth.

The ride itself is actually rather smooth.

Don't know about the different plates you mentioned, what advantage would their be going with the ATV plate?

Don't know about the different plates you mentioned, what advantage would their be going with the ATV plate?

There are only two legal and free places to ride dirt bikes in Connecticut. One, a huge state park that enters and exits into several towns and public streets and two states, requires the bike to be street legal and have a MC plate. The other, a sealed off federal dam area, requires at least an ATV plate (AKA: off road plate).

In short, unless you own land, to ride in my state you need a motor vehicle registration of some sort. Which one depends on how the bike came into the country. Street legal or off road only.

My understanding is that you can (possibly do not know for sure) change a registration from street legal to off road but you may not ever be able to change it back. The title would be changed for good. Either way the yearly property tax would the same since it is based on purchase price and not usage. I pay more tax for my Honda CRF100F dirt bike than I do for my Honda CH250 street scooter simply because I paid more for the dirt bike.

For me, street legal would give me two great places to ride. Whether or not I would actually ride the TLR200 to get there is another matter. Both are at least an hour from my home and I'd still need to carry extra gas!

Edited by scooterspal

• 1 month later...

I just picked up another TLR after being without one since about 1997. I definitely plan on keeping it street legal. It will allow me to hit many of the places to play near my house without worrying about getting cited for riding my GasGas on the streets. I will be doing some updating/upgrading on teh TLR, but it will still be streetable, at least as much as they were from Honda.

Edited by WRX_Boy

It is licensed, just for off-road only. I could be cited for riding it on the street and for no insurance, but most of the cops in my area are fairly relaxed about stuff like that. Still, better safe than sorry.

• 1 year later...

i bougt a brand new reflex from the dealer[$1120] back in 1990 . irode that bike all over maryland and virginia. tlr's are the best naked adventure bike ever made, you can go any were that your not supposed to be without anyone knowing. one time i had to go to a school in knoxville tn for a week and had a shooting match i wanted to go to in winchester va the weekend after the school. so i stuffed the reflex in the trunk of the chev caviler that we were driving down there, laid it on its side carefully rear wheel first,front forks hanging out the back of the car , rode around knoxville for a week,loaded it up when it was time to go and had the guys i was with drop me at the blue ridge parkway when we crossed it. i rode it 3 or 4 hundred miles up the parkway ,which ends about 50 miles from winchester . the speed limit is 40mph so it was perfect for the reflex, great ride! took a day and a half to do it including minimal side trips. of course i was in my 20's then.but i still have a steet leagle reflex in as perfect a shape as you could get and still ride it everywere,not the same one. i also have a nice striped down one for competiton. absolutly leave it street leagle if you have one that still is! there are lots of nice ones striped down but few still leagle.

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Maine I have a wide variety of trails within 15-20 minutes, even at geared-down Reflex speeds. I have a KTM which is street legal but intimidating on tight trails, just bought my old Reflex back with the intention of building my own street legal "long ride" trials bike for local trails. Given that the bike was originally imported as street legal, it will be much easier to register than something exotic which "may be" street legal in certain circumstances. Reflex has the advantage of already having things like wiring and switches for brake lights, turn signals and horn. Right now it's not much to look at but I will post a picture when it's done.