2007 Sherco Kickstart

scotty97

Took my 2007 sherco 290 out for a few hours yesterday, when to start the bike, the bike started but kicked back and caught the bottom of my boot, all i could see was a few pieces of metal fly into the air. the kickstart had snapped in two places. i only need the lever so that cuts the cost down a bit (still

Never snapped a kick-start but did have starting kickback problems especially from cold. Retarded the ignition made it so much easier to start, no kickback and was a bit softer power as well. Only downside was the front exhaust pipe turned gold.

Sherco kick starts break now and then especially the 290's and as noted when cold. I have done one on an '07 290.

There are different ways to kick them. Some stand up on the pegs and others bring the whole body weight down standing on the ground, not just extending the leg.

It is best to closely control the kick and concentrate to avoid the kick back that I think causes the breakage.

Look at how other riders start them, allowing for weight age skill etc.

I had one break on my '05 bike, but I mainly attribute it to probably taking a few crashes prior. One never knows, but it can indeed spoil a day out. Mine gave way first kick ov the day before a trial, but luckily there was a dealer at the trial who had one of the levers. Otherwise I would have been done before I started! :crying:

I still think a well positioned bike and a good full stroke is the best way to wake them up. A limp kick may kick back, and if your bars are turned right, may well hurt a knee(ouch)! Been there! And a bit less timing advance helps a lot!

Edited by copemech

I read this post last night then snapped my kickstart today. It's an 08 sherco 125. Looking at where it snapped there's a discoloured bit, like it cracked previously but not snapped right through. I'm blaming reading the post last night for it snapping.

Sorry JER if this thread jinxed you!!! ha ha typical.

Ordered my kickstart earlier, cant beleive the price on them, but without one the bike is useless so its one of them things.

bought a flywheel puller aswell so i can retard the timing slightly.

hopefully i wont be snapping the new one then????????????//

I bought the lever from SPL*TSHOP, I only have the knuckle left on the kickstart shaft, do i need to order the spring, ball bearing and grub screw aswell??? or do you think they come as part of the lever????????

I think you need a spring, ball bearing and grub screw as well. I ordered a new lever from trials and tribulations last night, it's not on their site today though? Maybe i ordered the last one? It said something along the lines of all other parts available to order, I took that to mean the spring etc. I kept my old lever so didn't look into it further. A sherco grub screw costs