New tyres michelin front; IRC rear, new wheel and str. head brgs., new chain and sprockets, new EBC brake shoes, fuel tap, new rear guard and new stickers.
Heres a list on some of the work to date.
1. Stg. head brgs. not available in Oz [supplied from Martin at SWM moto].
2. The sprocket I had on the rear had a steel insert /hub which offset the sprocket from the hub approx. 2mm. When I replaced with talon sprocket without a recess I used 2mm thick washers and ground them on one side so the chain wouldn't foul on them.
3. Sprocket bolts were loose when i went to change them and they had been tightened in the last year and the manual says this is an issue on a solid [no cush drive] hub so I'll need to keep an eye on them.
4. rear wheel was out of alignment with the cam adjusters so eyeballing and measuring between springarm pivot and axle [allowing for angle] has got it pretty right.
5. I have replaced the chain buffer on the swingarm with M.C.S brand Honda part with bolts replacing self tapers. It does keep drifting inwards towards the engine and the ridge for the rollers pulls the chain over slightly [say 5-7mm] but its wearing a new path anyway.
6. The rear guard repo. is a couple of inches shorter than the original - no biggie and looks better.
7. The thread type screw fuel tap has been replaced with I assume an enduro tank reserve level which is no worries really [I put it straight onto reserve and only have a 1 litre in for comp.]. I needed to remove 2-3 mm from the lever so it doesn't foul the decomp. under the tank.
8. I'm now running the fork tubes flush with the top triple clamp rather than 5mm thru and really at my level I cant feel the difference.
9. Counter-shaft was a bit stubborn but a bit of sikolene penetrative fluid overnight and a heat gun on the nut and the rattle gun got it.
10. as previously stated the clutch has Barnett friction plates 301 22 10001 and xr 600 valve springs has given a light clutch with no slipping in the top gears [not ty 175 light but not bad]. Oiling the cable ever 2hours also helps.
11. I have on lots of occasions lost spark due to condensation on the points in QLD Austrlia's unusually wet weather with heaps of humidity. A bit annoying but if she doest start in the first 3 kicks I get that cover off and use a business card to wipe the points dry and away she goes.
12. I had already replaced the standard SWM cap which was shorting all over the place with a cheaper $5 one and no worries there any more. Also shortened the spark plug lead considerably to keep it off the head.
Overall I'm very happy with the ease of maintenance and the handling and engine on this machine.
The next modifications will be a handlebar riser [up and forward] or an old school 7inch rise bar [very rare these days]. I also replace the front guard and side panels eventually and the flywheel cover. I also having a new bash plate fabricated out of 6 mm aluminium plate.
Thanks to "Feetupfun" for all the shed time and the help with the how to tips and Martin at swmmoto for parts and advice. Also the original owner Steve whose sweet looking TLR can be seen on the first and subsequent pages on the link I have embedded.
Edited by Reginald, 02 April 2011 - 01:18 AM.