Rear Suspension Set Up

hasselferrit87

Hi again everyone! Just swapped rear shock on my beta 2013 evo to a new standard one as old got damaged! Ive put spring length same as old one and screwed dampening in 1 complete turn from right out! Im certain its not performing the same! Can anyone explain to me what adjusts what as i struggle to understand dampening with preload! Basically i feel that the rear shock doesnt come up fast enough for my riding style! Like to clear rocks so i ride smooth and not into them! also i splat straight to back wheel without kicker on some rocks so really want good lift! Also im 13 stone so should i put it down to standard spring and get the white spring to help with this! Making dampening harder or softer will give me lift or less lift? Help please lol

Thanks

The Sachs shock on the Evos are prone to failure. The nitrogen gets past the piston and into the oil. The result is a loss of damping. It happened to myself, and also my friend on his Evo. My guess your shock was bad for a while, and you got used to the reduced damping. The reduced damping makes the rear suspension very springy, and does in fact help with hopping, and some other aspects of riding, but at the cost of poor handling in other regards. My advice is to set the spring preload so that you get 20 mm static sag (no rider, bike sag only), then back the adjuster all the way out. It may just take a while to get used to a properly working shock again. Disregard the previous advice about watching a video on how to adjust the clickers on a Reiger shock, it will not be of value to you.

Hi. Your bike has two suspension adjustments on the front & back. Spring tension and rebound damping.

Spring tension should be set with you on the bike to 1/3 sag. Get a friend to help & wear your riding gear. Measure and test a few times cos there is some stiction in the system. Stand on the bike all-normal-like and measure how far it has sagged from fully extended (lift the bike off the ground). Adjust and recheck. Check this every few months and after eating a pies ;o) Yes there should be some sag without you on the bike, but it isn't 1/10th as important as getting the riding sag correct.

Do the same with the front suspension.

Turn the damping adjuster right in and try it. Too slow eh? Turn the adjuster right out. Too fast eh? Adjust it in so the hippity-hoppity springyness is taken away. Keep adjusting and trying until happy and everyone likes a different feeling. Note The damping NEEDS to control the rate of shock extension by slowing things a little and Note that a little slower rebound will tend to give you a little more traction cos the back wheel is a little more in "control'.

If the damping adjuster makes no change when it is adjusted - you need a shock rebuild.

Do the same with the front (after you have put fresh fork oil in - you did put fresh fork oil in didn't you?!?!?)

Ralphy

Edited by nzralphy

Thanks for the replys! Ive heard you should look for both front and rear suspension to go up and down at same time if you push on seat! Does this sound good? Rear shock dampening does work oulled spring off and adjust rite in to watch slow rebound and wound right out to watch fast rebound! I like how plush my frony suspension is dont want to adjust it! Abd no i havent put fresh fork oil in as bike is only 6 months old! Will do when a seal goes

Ryan Young teaches that you set up your front and rear suspensions independent on one another not by pushing the bike down in the center

It's probably as much riding style as anything, so many different set ups and no one can really tell you how to do yours

Take your tools to your favorite section and spin the screws