Struggling But Lovin It !

shoney

Hi all..Well I've just done my second trial and it's was a nightmare ,,,, I could only manage 2 of the 4 laps? just ran out of steam lol. I've done a few practice sessions n thort I was gettin a bit better but it's just not the same ha ha ...

9 of the 10 sections were in a river and I was spooked by that so didn't do very well but was I'm pressed by just about everone else's ridin on the day,especially the 14 year old kids who make it look sooo easy.. Got some great advice of the observers n other riders which was a great help but lack of ability n talent on my part showed. My mate came along who has loads of experience n had to drag my bike out of two of the sections.. How embarrassing ...

But I absolutely luv it .....

It's addictive !!!???

• Like 1

Hey Shoney!

In my opinion there is not a trials rider on the planet that faired much better on the first few comps!!! Geez! My one and only trial I only got through about 15 or so outta 40 sections! I was plain buggered and fell off twice on the sections!!! Ahahahahahahaha

The third fall off the day was directly in front of my wife.... she was just sitting there idling as I pulled up! I was so fatigued from the day I couldn't lift foot off foot peg and I just fell over in the dirt as I stopped, perfect faceplant!!! How embarrassment!!!! Hehehehehehe

She laughed and laughed once she realised I was ok!!! Bless her!! Bought me down to earth I can tell ya!!!

I agree on the addiction! We are hooked and when it comes to trials (as far as I'm concerned) TOO much FUN aint enough!!!!

Mags

Well I think I've bought the wrong bike to b homest, it's a 4 stroke beta 250 n feels like it's made of granite at times , I'm only short n I'm struggling with it a bit,, much as it's more than capable I just dnt think it's not the bike for me so thinkin of gettin a 250 gasgas . I dnt think it will help me get any better to be fair tho , I just need to relax on the bike n get more time on it

I luv it tho, after 20 year ridin road bikes I'm findin that there's not much cross over from one to the other ha ha

And to be honest I think my lack of fitness is big issue, because I'm spent after one lap dragging the bike when I should be riding instead . It's sooo much more hard work bit I'm hopin the more I ride then things will start to begin to klick n become second nature

I can't get any worse that's for sure ha ha ?

if i where to tell you my story it would be exactly the same as your, even the river part, i did a trial and five sections where up a river but once i started their was no going back because all of the sections where in a row and their was about 30 bikes in line behind me, i to have only managed to do 2 round of 10 sections but i always go home with a smile on my face and keep going back for more, saturday i went to the Loughborough 2 day trial and on the saturday it was fun day so i rode in that and only managed to do 4 sections and on the last one the observer had to come and rescue my bike because i couldn't get out, on the sunday i offered to be an observer and i would highly recommend that you do the same, just by watching and talking to other riders i picked up a lot of tips, i did have a moment of confusion and sent a rider the wrong way and he wasn't to happy about that but i just asked him to do it again and things seemed ok again, i still went home with a smile, good luck and keep at it.

• Like 1

Hi Shoney

I'm back into trials after 30years, ( bought a twinshock like I used to have ) been riding again for 4 months practicing and then one trial a month , improving all the time !

To start off I was knackerd and bruised, kept falling off , even on the easiest section I built myself. But then it gradually gets easier and it begins to come together, you let the bike do all the work. You start attempting harder sections , tighter turns ,steeper climbs, bigger drops , higher logs....... Then it's time to test yourself on an organised trial , easy route and give yourself plenty of time, watch a couple of riders through the section and decide on your line , remember let the bike do the work and next thing you know you will be completing all the laps .... You will get the sense of achievement and be able to compare your scores with your mates and get even bigger smiles than you have now.

Just give it a chance and plenty of practice.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

shoney it is demanding physically. i've introduced a few mates who thought they were fit and all were drenched in sweat within minutes and asking why it was so exhausting to ride so slow.

most of us are discouraged (but still addicted!) on our first few trials because everyone else makes it look so easy, but of course it ain't. i had to just chill out and practice heaps of balance and tight turns on flat ground before i started to make headway in any clubman sections. interesting seeing all my mates now struggling with exactly the same issues, but all with huge grins on their faces despite barely being able to walk by the end of the day.

Cheers fellas

Dnt get me wrong I'm absolutely lovin every minute of it, well other than when I get stuck and needed help to get the bike out the section,? that was embarising and just wish I'd taken it up a couple of decades ago , when I was younger, fitter , more flexible n didn't bruise so easily ha ha

I'm enjoying the practice sessions a whole lot better that the trial itself but I'm sure that will change over the next few months.

Wot is a surprise, is how friendly most of the riders are n there's no cockiness or edge like there is on the sports bike scene, everyone is really helpfull , I was even gettin good advice from a 14 year old lad rite up to a pensioner observer lol

Can't wait for the weekends to come round now and even the results to be posted on here , even tho there's not much to look forward to there like .

Think I mite try n get out twice a week from now on so I'm gettin more time on the bike coz once a week just isn't feedin my addiction ....?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I think I've bought the wrong bike to b homest, it's a 4 stroke beta 250 n feels like it's made of granite at times , I'm only short n I'm struggling with it a bit,, much as it's more than capable I just dnt think it's not the bike for me so thinkin of gettin a 250 gasgas . I dnt think it will help me get any better to be fair tho , I just need to relax on the bike n get more time on it

I luv it tho, after 20 year ridin road bikes I'm findin that there's not much cross over from one to the other ha ha

And to be honest I think my lack of fitness is big issue, because I'm spent after one lap dragging the bike when I should be riding instead . It's sooo much more hard work bit I'm hopin the more I ride then things will start to begin to klick n become second nature

I can't get any worse that's for sure ha ha

My first trials was like that I was dragging ass very tired. The second one I felt like a new man. What made the difference? About 20 hours of practicing very slow figure eights (on a hillside too), stopping and balancing as long as possible over and over, and riding as slowly as possible in lots of different terrain and grades.

My second trials I was not winded whatsoever, unfortunately I lost my scorecard and got a DNF but lesson learned all the same.

Bottom line is when you can not stop to assess the situation or search for a marker WO dabbing, trials is a LOT more tiring and physically demanding, not to mention stressful.

If you can stop for extended periods of time and don't have to keep moving then this would not apply to you. Just trying to share my own experience ;)

Just My Opinion.

Edited by bigmark1972

Like so many others, it took me about 3 or 4 events before I could finish a trial. A lot of that was simply physical conditioning. The rest was about learning trials techniques so that I was guiding the bike not, forcing the bike. Trials mainly requires being loose on the bike and let the bike do its job.

Hang in there, keep practicing and before you know it you will feel the sense of accomplishment when you complete that first trial!

Mostly, have fun!