Milky Oil...

ripgroove

Shaft has some grooves worn in to it that are about 0.2mm down on diameter which is 0.1mm per side which I beleive is more than enough to let coolant through and also too deep to be repaired by grinding the main diameter down. So have found a website that has one in stock so should have it done in a day or two.

F42E014B-E174-4C0F-BC66-47D20ED7F511_zps

Also the shaft has two big chips in, one on either side around the holes for the drive pin (have circled one below)! Pretty sure the pieces are not in my engine as I'd have known about it by now, I can only assume that it has been damaged in the past when the previous owner changed the seals and tried to lever it out maybe?

27C3D128-4EBE-4515-987C-E6D235E9E8B4_zps

Edited by ripgroove

Thos chips are because the waterpump has not been mounted correctly!

It is important to exactly align the waterpump with the crank. (preferably do not loosen the pump itself, only the hole cover and than stay of it!)

Those pieces will fall on the big crankwheel and then enter the engine to end up on one of the magnetos probably, could have been long ago... you never know.

For the rest i am with all the other comments, this is just one of the problems of the gas gas pro engines. Howerver there is now a new pump available also fits the ''oldstyle'' pump. Havent got it yet, so dont know if its really better.

Edited by crazybond700

Thos chips are because the waterpump has not been mounted correctly!

It is important to exactly align the waterpump with the crank. (preferably do not loosen the pump itself, only the hole cover and than stay of it!)

Those pieces will fall on the big crankwheel and then enter the engine to end up on one of the magnetos probably, could have been long ago... you never know.

For the rest i am with all the other comments, this is just one of the problems of the gas gas pro engines. Howerver there is now a new pump available also fits the ''oldstyle'' pump. Havent got it yet, so dont know if its really better.

Ah yeah that makes sense, someone has tapped it in without it being lined up properly, I'm hoping it was long ago as I've had the bike for probably 6 months and haven't had any problems as yet.

Edited by ripgroove

Shaft arrived today so all done, done two hot oil changes and so far the oil has stayed clear and non milky, rode around the driveway a bit through gears, bounced around a bit and generally let it all get hot and slosh around a bit so hopefully that's it, fingers crossed.

So what effect does coolant on the clutch plates have? My clutch does feel like it bites real hard and comes on very quick and jerky, sure it wasn't that bad before? I do have some new DP clutch plates in the garage so may put them in.

Somethimes they swell up causing the clutch not to work ok. But sometimes there is no problem...

Well mines still working fine, just feels a little more bitey than before, seems to come in very strong and snappy. Probably just in my head.

• 2 weeks later...