349 / 248 Tanks

mudyman

Hi all,

I have been checking the TC site about the tanks on Cota 348´s, 349´s and 248´s in one it says the following what I think could be correct.

All 348´s (exept UK version) had GF Tanks, the early 1979 /1980 349´s (and the 1980/1981 248´s) had plastic tanks that were painted (again not the UK version because of needing the alloy tank).

I know for sure that the white wonder 349 in 1981 had a GF tank and the 1982 on MK4 had a plastic one.

Can oneone help with this as I need to be certain ?

Hi Nigel

it´s all about painting a 349 MKI from 1980 without having to first protect it against ethenol in petrol.

Hi vonhazza

it was your post from earlier that helped me with the bit about the 1980 being made of plastic.

I have 3 of them and want to get one newly painted. I initialy thought they were GF but looking at them yesterday I found they seem more like plastic when looking around the filler cap.

Then I read your post which seems to say the same thing.

I also have some 348 one´s in GF that I will give a sealant before ever using again and  a 349 white wonder GF one that needs sealant as it started dripping.  I bought 2 used tank´s from the 349 MK4 which are fine as being plastic one´s (without paint) and I use them instead of the older ones. I also obtained 2 used tanks with the alloy inner that I have fitted on a couple of 348´s,

My 1978 348 is road registered so I believe the GRP tank is as it left the factory. However I threw that away and replaced with aluminium version.

lots of benefits;

use any paint you like on the tank cover.

run the engine with the seat cover off, just tank in place.

less chance of dying due to fire.

My road bike, a triumph speed triple is suffering from ethanol in a plastic tank. the tank has swelled up and doesnt fit the frame properly anymore.

Edited by bigshineybike