Bigger Motor To Oset 12.5

redline2097

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you will get anything that size ( drop in replacement ) for that sort of power in a brushed motor and you would be hard pushed to get a 2kw brushless also.  The oset small brushed motors are about the best you are going to get for quality and power.

The gng is a brushless motor and would work if it fits, it has a kv of 67 ( not totally sure what the kv is on the standard oset 12.5l motors ) 

and i think the ampflow will spin way to fast to be a drop in replacement.  

Do you know what the kv is of the standard oset 12.5 motor is?

Standard 12.5 motor kv is 108 (2600 rpm / 24v? )

And I'm running it 36v, so its 3900 rpm (2600*1,5).

Stock sprockets, Front: 13T, Rear: 90T = 6.92 ratio

If changing Front sprocket to 9T as racing 12.5 it should be then 10 ratio (90/10).

So with amplow@24v and 9T sprocket the speed would be the same than stock at 4152 rpm. ( 6000rpm/10/6,92)  

So it would be pretty close what we are running now. 

your not wrong :-) speed would be quite close.. so you may get away with it.

edit:

but i dont think it will be more power than the original motor even though its geared down more.. the ampflow motor is only 3" diameter so at best it may be on par with the oset motor.

Edited by gwhy

Ok. I think we all well powered then. Brushless + controller are just too much for price for just one year. Then we are going to switch to the Mx10. I think all we are doing now is reducing the weight of bike.

Is the any recommendation to lightweight aluminum forks for Oset 12.5? 

sorry I don't have any recommendations for the 12.5 front forks , I have a feeling that they are unique to oset as the size is very small , you may have to modify a set of MB forks yourself to get the correct head angle.  They do a better quality fork for the 12.5 that will be lighter but it is quite pricey.

• 3 weeks later...

Omg.  I found overkill motor. I think we need 16 oset so the frame would not limit the speed. 12.5 is bit understable at speeds over 35kmh.i think its mainly because off the small wheels.

So what you think, this motor with brushless controller :

http://www.revolt.org.il/rv-160models/rv-160pro-short-2/

I think we could overpower all 50cc motocross bikes with that. Lol. Actually i think we owerpower all 80ccs too. :D

Edited by redline2097

The smaller versions on the revolt motors 100 and 120 I know to be very good and have heard good things about them so I imagine that this bigger version should be ok.. the smaller versions are all outrunners and by the looks of it the 160 is also a outrunner so for use on a bike that is going to get very wet and muddy you would need to think well about protecting the motor.    

Omg.  I found overkill motor. I think we need 16 oset so the frame would not limit the speed. 12.5 is bit understable at speeds over 35kmh.i think its mainly because off the small wheels.

So what you think, this motor with brushless controller :

http://www.revolt.org.il/rv-160models/rv-160pro-short-2/

I think we could overpower all 50cc motocross bikes with that. Lol. Actually i think we owerpower all 80ccs too. :D

Are you doin cross with the 12,5?

any news on the MX10?

I maybe switched to early to 16", so stil la bit to big for my son.

I'm goin to buy the saddle now to get hem higher up.

http://youtu.be/puCuu77UuHY

Greetz

• 2 months later...

I don't wanna do new thread for this question, so I post it here. I believe that pre 2015 non racing 12.5 comes with 25h chain, can I fit #25 front sprocket to it?  I can't find anywhere bigger than 13t 25h front sprockets but there is bigger #25s around. 

I don't wanna do new thread for this question, so I post it here. I believe that pre 2015 non racing 12.5 comes with 25h chain, can I fit #25 front sprocket to it?  I can't find anywhere bigger than 13t 25h front sprockets but there is bigger #25s around. 

I think that the #25H chain has thicker side plates which makes it stronger but the actual size of the chain that runs on the sprockets is the same size as standard #25. so a #25 sprocket should be good for any #25 chain