Matchless Clutch

rusty ken

The clutch on my 350 Matchless has seen better days. It is starting to slip and could do with a new set of plates. Given the price of new plates, this would be an appropriate time to upgrade the whole clutch.

The current approach seems to be to fit a jawa clutch. I've never had any problems with the original, is it worth changing, and if so what is the best option!

I run a 500 single AJS which has the same clutch with a couple of extra plates, it was rebuilt & set up correctly years ago & has had a lot of stick two up around the Yorkshire Dales, Durham Dales etc. Can't fault it. Stick with it.

Dick.

I'd stick with the original if you can get decent plates for it. I fitted a Jawa clutch to my last HT5,it was a bit of a fiddle,had to shorten the mainshaft by 12mm and cut more thread on it.Good clutch,but was only worth it because the Jawa clutch was there ready to go.

My 350 AJS has its original clutch, I was going to fit a Jawa unit to it when I rebuilt the engine. Again, a lot more work - the original went back on and is still fine.Don't use it much though,the engine is so soft its not really needed once moving.

which gearbox is it?? how badly worn is your original? if its just worn plates that's a quick fix. if the basket and centre bearing are shot that's more costly.

I put a NEB clutch on an AMC box, but you loose the shock absorber that is in the centre of the AMC/NORTON clutch. you may have a crank shocker so I don't matter.

details,details...............

I use a Pete Kirby diaphragm clutch, with a belt drive, works a treat, just like the ones that came out of the factory back in the day.

Oh, and by the way very environmentally friendly as you can run it dry so no nasty oil leaks polluting our eco system. #keepitcleankeepitgreen