Beta Evo 290 2T 2006 Fork Seals

leepb

New to trials and gone and got a Beta Evo 290 2T 2006 bike.

The left fork seal has started to leak and was wondering if any of you guys or girls know the correct size for the fork seals on this model.

Done some searching and can only find sizes for later models.

Thanks

Yup, there's the standard Beta ones and the new SKF ones that are a little shorter for the dust cap. The SKFs I put in a friend's bike tended to pop the dust cap out of the fork leg until they settled in. You will need a fork seal tool. Easy to make out of a length of PVC pipe. There's lots of information on this forum on changing fork seals. The Paioli forks on your Beta are the same as the forks on the Shercos of the same vintage and there is excellent instruction on those forks if you do a bit of searching. Most disconcerting is taking the fork legs off after the bottom bolt is removed and the circlip above the seal is removed. To pop the seal out and remove the bottom part of the leg you treat it like a slide hammer pulling the slider down from the stanchion tube to pop the seal out. Do this with the fork still in the triple clamps. To seat the seals you remove the stanchion from the triple clamp, slide the seals onto the stanchion and insert the stanchion into the slider, replace the bolt on the bottom of the slide, slide the seal tool/PVC pipe over the stanchion and give a few good taps on top of the seal tool to seat the seal into the fork leg. Replace the circlip on top of the seal and repeat the process with the dust cap. I cut a chamfer into the PVC pipe so it doesn't chew up the seal lips. I also noticed on the SKF seals the chamfer needed to be deeper as the SKF dust caps have a more pronounced lip. I think the PVC pipe I made the seal tool out of was 1 3/8 but I'll have to check as it's out in the garage.

• Like 1

The plastic fork seal tools are actually 1 5/8 inner diameter and 18 inches long. Comes in handy 10 ft lengths.

Thanks again Dan, done fork seals before but good to know about the pipe seal tool :agreed: