Help! Bike size for 10yr old

txt_280

Hi all, 

after a little advise, I'm looking to get my son a trials bike for his birthday in a couple of weeks. 

I have been looking at getting a beta 80 junior, but these are like hens teeth in the second hand market. Are 80 big wheeled bikes the same size as a full size bike?? 

I don't want to get him a big wheel and then he finds it to big and heavy and doesn't enjoy it! 

He knows his way around bikes, rides a ktm 65 in enduro. Can ride my bike but feels it's to big and says he wants a small one

here he is riding mine to guage his size....

IMG_1583.PNGIMG_1581.PNG

IMG_0879.JPG

Edited by txt_280
  • Like 1

My 11year old (1m45) has a Beta 80 mediun wheel which is spot on size wise.

Probably last about another 18 months before he's on the big side.

Thing is it's big enough that I could ride it myself in a club trial without issue though it's sprung too soft.

Hard to come by and quite pricy hold there money well though..

Edited by breagh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Maybe Inch perfect have something you could try out If you can do the drive over to Skipton area.

They are a couple of hours away, I've thought about going to watch a few local trials and see if there's any bikes there we can see up close instead of looking at a picture of them 

• 1 month later...

Big wheel 80 is still smaller than a full size bike.My 10yr old has had a big wheeled 80 for about 18 months, my 8 yr old rides a medium wheel. They are virtually identical in size and weight, (other than seat height, due to smaller wheels) Looking at your lad on your Scorpa. I think a big wheel is the way forward.

• 1 month later...

My feeling is that its better to have the bike too small rather than too large. Small / young riders can ride full sized bikes but they will generally have far more fun on something smaller that is easy to pick up and start.