Mix ratio

heffergm

I saw a UK vendor info sheet a while back, and it suggested a 200:1 mix ratio. I've been mixing 133:1, which is the 0.75% ratio called out in the manual. I still get a lot of blow by out the exhaust, so I was curious, if you have been mixing 200:1,how's it working out? Since I haven't heard about any seized top ends, I'd guess well enough... 

Edited by heffergm

I have been running 1:200 from new with Motul 800. The engine starts and runs very good. After a few hours of riding I give it a good run in fifth or sixth, resulting in a bit of smoke and a small amount of blow by.

The Dutch 2016 trial champ ran 1:200 during a year of competition without any ill effects.   

1. Strange though it may seem formula 1 engines (which are four strokes) run the equivalent of about 1% oil in the fuel, and in order to give more power they would like to burn more. I think the FIA limit is about 1.2 litres of oil for 105 Kg of fuel.

Thanks, I had not seen  that clip. I was deliberately brief when I made my post. It seems they can use 2.7L in a race which is about twice what I thought (I had not looked it up recently) 2.7 L in 105 Kg of fuel is about the equivalent of about a oil to fuel ratio of 1:50.

The point I was making was that some trials manufacturers and riders always want to use less oil whereas F1 would like to use more. There is unfortunately on this and other forums a whole load of crap posted about mix ratios and the supposed benefits / disbenefits of this that or the other. 

Perhaps if trials bike manufacturers advised more protective oil to fuel ratios they would not have to rely on the "limited competition use warranty" to avoid premature wear claims. Its a bit like gearbox manufacturers describing their units as "sealed for life" (ie no oil changes). What they do not point out is that this sealed for "life" will be far shorter than the life of an unsealed gearbox that had oil changes at 30,000 mile intervals.

• Like 1