Introduction from New Zealand :)

potto

Name is Dean,been on here a short time and realized I hadn't introduced myself.....about time.

I'am a fitter/turner/machinist by trade,retired from marine engineering after 36yrs and I retired early......best thing I did after such a long time.

Have always had an interest in cars and motorbikes,did trials for some time back in the early 80's then moved to trail riding then motorcross,MX took its toll on me and I was forced to retire due to a shoulder injury caused by another rider :(,moved to 125cc sprint karts before doing OE in Australia for 5 years.

Marriage and kids put paid to bikes/karting,but continued my interest of sailing doing time on keelers,18ft cats and windsurfing,still continued my love of surfing in between times,loved my watersports :).

Around 2000 I purchased an XL 350 that I had previously owned and transplanted the motor into an RM twinshock frame ,it was a bunch of fun and kept me interested in bikes.

The rest is history and I have the Montesa to play with to supply a stop gap on my current 74 Porsche project which has been a huge investment of time and money and I need a rest from it.

Cheers Dean.

Nice introduction Dean. Thank you and welcome. I loved hearing that you built a bike with an XL350 motor in an RM frame. I've got a 1978 RM with an SP370 motor in it. I built it when I was a fourth year Fitter and Turning apprentice in 1980.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Nice introduction Dean. Thank you and welcome. I loved hearing that you built a bike with an XL350 motor in an RM frame. I've got a 1978 RM with an SP370 motor in it. I built it when I was a fourth year Fitter and Turning apprentice in 1980.

Cheers mate,the original frame was a wreak as the bike had been raced cause that all that was around in those days,ha ha remember picking up the frame complete less motor as a guy had bought it for an engine for a 250cc gearbox kart,paid $100 and it had near new tyres,try that these days;).

The engine was heavy as expected but the frame was light so kinda balanced out.

Cheers Dean.

• Like 1