TY250A Carb slide advice..

johnnyjazz

Hello again friends and greetings from NY.  Hope you are all well!

sorry to be such a noob...but i was hoping if someone with more expertise and experience would tell me if my slide is worn past the point of no return and needs to be replaced?  bike seems to run ok but trying to give it as much TLC as possible while its in my custody!

i recall 'feetupfun' saying the TK carby was really awesome and when working as intended is hard to beat, though if the the slide is worn it can run rich.

however, im looking at $50 on eebs for a new slide but can get a whole new OKO carb from mid atlantic trials for $100 so not sure which my best option would be.. any ideas/opinions? 

and also, in my parts manual it says my slide is a #3 but the only one i can find online is a #2.5.  would this matter much?

many thanks always, johnny

slide.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

The wearing points that make it run rich are the slide needle and needle jet.

A worn slide can also cause a few problems. In your case the plating is coming off the slide, which can sometimes cause the slide to jam (open), which is very dangerous.

As far as the sloppiness of the fit of the slide in its hole is concerned, in the case of your TK carby, I suspect that the hole that the slide fits into would be where most of the wear would have occurred, and this wear would have been hastened by the way the plating has been coming off the slide. The plating is chrome which is very hard and the pieces that come off the slide will damage the piston, rings, cylinder bore and engine bearings as they are digested by the engine. If that bike was mine, I would fit a new carby to avoid further damage to the engine. If you fit a new slide, it will probably not change the sloppiness of the fit because the carby body will be worn. Carbies can be resleeved but it is not cheap. If you wanted it to look totally original then it might be worth the cost of resleeving and fitting a new slide. Yes a 3.0 slide will give different jetting compared with a 2.5

While I said that the original TK carby on the A model TY250 worked very well when in good condition, my own TK carby eventually developed wear on the slide needle and needle jet and a few weeks ago, I fitted a new OKO carby and it was back to running sweet as a nut.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

Must admit I have seen worse slides...  Ones with the back edge worn to paper thickness, which still performed Ok.   The only thing that worries me is the up'down scratches.  They appear to be made by Big Grit Particles.   Is your air filter working correctly..?

Edited by scifi
  • Like 1

Thanks scifi,- when i got the bike the air box hose and lid were in a box of parts, so im assuming someone had taken it off at some point! i've hooked it all back up with a nice new universal filter and 'no toil filter oil' and at feetupfuns suggestion i will refresh the tired TK with a nice new OKO :)  hope the engine didn't got too damaged from the chrome slide chips!

Thank you all for being such an amazing forum of knowledge and kindness to share it!  best wishes from brooklyn...