M199B

stevem75

6 hours ago, stevem75 said:

Has anyone installed an M199A five speed gear set into a set of 199B cases ? I know the six speed won’t go into a five speed case.  Just want to know if it’s been done 

Steve 

Well first off you will lose the engine/frame number pairing. If you ask Bultaco UK / InMotion the question they ought to be able to offer knowledgeable advice and parts if needed as they did have recently a new stock of gearbox internals.

8 hours ago, stevem75 said:

Has anyone installed an M199A five speed gear set into a set of 199B cases ? I know the six speed won’t go into a five speed case.  Just want to know if it’s been done 

Steve 

Out of curiosity, why do you want to install a 5 speed cluster?

Edited by model80

I have a 199B frame and matching engine.  Complete bike.   But ... the previous owner disassembled the engine and used parts from the six speed cluster to make another bike work.  So I’m missing the kickstart gear and 2 shift forks for it.  But the cases are fully intact as is everything else for the engine. I bought a 199A set of cases complete with transmission and kickstart gear.  So I can build a five speed no problem.  But in the quest to make the bike matching numbers I was maybe thinking of trying the five speed in the six speed cases.  I’m well aware of what the differences are between the A and B models.  The main one being the bearings for the transmission shafts.  I haven’t taken the two apart side by side yet to see if the conversion is possible.  Was curious if anyone has.  I’ve checked with inmotion and they could get parts for my six speed but 4 shift forks was quoted around 1000 dollars. Too much for my liking and the 199A gearset is close to the 199B at least the first two gears are.  So I’ll be able to retain 11/39 or perhaps 11/42 gearing.  I won’t know until I’ve tried it to see what I like.  It’s a shame that my six speed cluster won’t work as I do prefer it over the five.  

Steve 

• Like 1