Gear Selector Pawl Assembly

barrybaines

Hi after completely stripping my engine too try and find a selecting fault on my `97 scorpa easy and finding nothing I today came to the reassembly, after putting the cases back together and the various selector parts back on i tried going through the gears once again and have discovered what is most likely causing the problem.

on the shift shaft ass. you have a rocker device I beleive they call the `pawl ass.` when selecting up the gears the rocker often (90-95% of the time) dosen`t centralize when you pull the lever down slightly it pops back down. It`s as if the whole ass. is sitting say 1-2mm too high though apart from the spring twisting which i find hard to beleive I cannot see why it is happening :hyper:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Hi after completely stripping my engine too try and find a selecting fault on my `97 scorpa easy and finding nothing I today came to the reassembly, after putting the cases back together and the various selector parts back on i tried going through the gears once again and have discovered what is most likely causing the problem.

on the shift shaft ass. you have a rocker device I beleive they call the `pawl ass.` when selecting up the gears the rocker often (90-95% of the time) dosen`t centralize when you pull the lever down slightly it pops back down. It`s as if the whole ass. is sitting say 1-2mm too high though apart from the spring twisting which i find hard to beleive I cannot see why it is happening  :hyper:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen the pawl on an Easy but most bikes I have worked on do have an adjustment that can change the resting position of the pawls.

Please look for these things:

Does the shift shaft (that the shift lever fits onto) move completely freely? Sometimes they get a bit bent and the action becomes too sticky for the spring to centralise the shaft position reliably.

Is there an eccentric screw or bolt that the spring rests on? This is what some pawl centralising adjusters look like.

Is the shift drum indexing plunger and spring working properly? If the shift drum isn't being held in the right place, the pawls will appear to be offset.

Hmm no adjuster so to speak although the shift shaft spring has potential too be shimmed up which would spread it a little whick i will try next to see what happens.

The shaft is moving freely.

the spring rests in two places on a tab on the plate off the shift shaft which is what i`m on about above^ and on one of the shift fork pins.

The indexing plunger apears to be working fine the spring is still nice and strong and the roller moves freely.

Thanks for all the suggestions i`m going to go try lifting that spring now if anyone has anymore ideas please chuck `em in and i`ll let you know how this goes

Barry