Tame That Beast

sir dabs alot

I recently purchased a Gas Gas 300 Pro from a club member. It is easier to ride than my old bike but I would like to tame it down a bit.

The place where I have the most problems is when I'm in a tight spot and need to ease out on the clutch and smooth over something. My clutch pull is harder than my previous bike but not as much like an on off switch. After a little practicing I need to stop to let my hand rest, something I didn't have to do on my previous bike. The power is so much that sometimes I get more wheelspin than I want. Recently I've been experimenting with riding in 2nd gear with pretty good results.

Here are the things that I have considered doing to help tame this beast:

1. Slow throttle - Slower throttle would slow the bike down but on my previous bike, I noticed that double blips and bursts of power to get up on top of things were hampered.

2. Flywheel weight - I'm sure it would slow the bike down but have heard that the power delivery is changed so dramtically that it makes me worry that it would be over kill. I do like the way the 300 leaps up on top of things.

3. Thinner clutch plates - I was told that clutch pull would be easier with thinner plates. My bike is an '04 and may be hampered by normal wear. I'm not sure. I know I don't want quick snappy on-off type clutch action though. I just ordered an '06 clutch spring which is supposed to help in the heavy pull.

4. Gearing - Right now I'm running 10-42 gearing. This has helped a lot with th eridablilty of the bike compared to the stock 11-42 gearing. I'm considering 10-44 or 9-42 hearing. I'm thinking 9-42 will be too much but mat try it first since it will be the cheapest route for me.

I'll probably end up with a new bike in 2007 (pending $$ situation willing) so spending as little money as possible on my current rig is of importance. I am considering a 250 for my next bike. The 300 seems more rider friendly than the 280/290s but the 250 may be even more rider friendly. Here in the US everyone is on 280/290s and used 250s are rare.

Any advise would be appreciated! I figure someone out there has experimented with this and will be able to help save me some time and money in this. I gues I'm a little overwhelmed with options at this point.

I rode a 300 before and after a thicker base gasket had been fitted, it certainly made the bike feel easier to ride to me..... that said, I still couldn't find any grip in the wet but then I'm rubbish. The owner makes it do brilliant things.

I also rode an '06 Raga rep with a heavier flywheel and a thicker gasket amd even with the mods it was far far too powerful for my limited ability.

if i was you i would go for the 250 for sure, and even with the 250 i would out a fly wheel weight and slow action throttle just to get use to it and maybe lower the gearing one tooth on the front sprocket, there is enough power in a 250 to do every type of event accept world/euro. lots of people go for the 280/300 and just get them selfs in to trouble.

can you get those '06 clutch springs for an '05 125 pro? or are the '05 and '06 spring the same?

I guess you could. I imagine if it works on an '04 it would work on an '05. I got mine from Lewisport here in the US. Not sure where you are but any knowledgable shop should be able to answer Ithat I would think. I rode an '05 tonight and the clutch felt easier than mine but it was just for a few minutes.

My brother rides an '04 200 which had a heavier flywheel put on from the start. I can pretty much guarantee you won't find it too soft with this mod. He's 20 years old (so no little kid) and that bike can take him up anything, I've ridden it quite a few times myself and find the power delivery very smooth but still quite snappy when you need it - apart from some really big blasts I find that bike has more than enough snap and power for anything I'd want to try, and that's with a 175cc engine!

Around here the standard mods (at least on the 250s) seem to involve head spacers, infact I think a lot of people pretty much consider that an essential. However I've just ordered an '07 250 (and have to wait 3 weeks for it!) and have been told that the new ones have been calmed down a little so these mods aren't really needed anymore - which is undoubtedly a good thing, after all if you want a viscious beast of a bike you should be riding a 280 not a 250!

Went from a 04 280 to a 05 300 to a 06 250. The 250 is much easier to control in wet conditions. I use a slow throttle and 10-43 gearing with excellent results. The 300 was too much to control for any less than expert level in the wet. I ran a head gasket in my 300 which helped but it was still a beast. Get a 250, it's got plenty of snap for hits but does not require precise throttle control like a 280/300. It's just plain easier to ride at a high level.

Well, I got my clutch spring in from Lewisport on wednesday. Put it in last night. The difference in pull is tremendous. It's like no effort at all is required to pull the clutch in now. It does have a more vague feeling than the original spring. Less abrupt release, which is what I was looking for. It will take a little getting used to but I think I'll like it better. The guy that I bought my bike from complains about his '06 300 clutch releasing too far from the grip making it harder to let out on hte clutch without letting go of the lever. Mine seems to be similar but I haven't tried to adjust it at all yet. I just thought it was strange that the smae result came from a spring only change.

By the way, I've seen plenty of posts about what the proper oil level is. Manual says 550 cc, I've seen all sorts of suggestions here with 350cc being the most common. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I may still change the gearing, mostly because I just like a bike that will creep when the need arises. 10-44 or 9-42. I'll write back.