Altering Gearing

hoodie2

I am thinking about changing to an 11 tooth gearbox sprocket on my SY250. I never use first gear so thought I would change up to bring 1st back into play. Does anyone know from experience how the extra tooth affects the ratios? will 1st gear with an 11 tooth sprocket be the same as 2nd with the ten tooth or does it end up a bit lower than the original 2nd gear?

Edited by hoodie2

I don't get it. How would it change the balance/weighting of the bike? This mod is recommended by Birks. for the Scottish, if you need to make up time on the tracks & roads. I'm trying to find out how different the bikes gearing would feel in the sections, with an 11 tooth g box sprocket. Is it as simple as using first all the time instead of 2nd, with 2nd for bigger steps and 3rd for hill climbs?

Well Hoodie, yr idea is correct. 2nd will be 1st etc.

Funny that scorpa standard sprocket is a 12. With my GG it is a 11, and i went to 10 to slow 1st gear down with walking pace non-stops.

You can calculate the gear ratio's but you need to know the primary gear ratio's and secondary gear ratio's in the first place .

So check yr manual, maybe it is listed in there.

I know what your saying HAM2 I put neopreme fork gaiters on my SY and the extra weight just threw me over the handlebars on drop offs :rolleyes:

Adding an extra tooth to the gearbox sprocket means you can extend your chain life by an extra 6 months!!!!! :D

I know what your saying HAM2 I put neopreme fork gaiters on my SY and the extra weight just threw me over the handlebars on drop offs :rolleyes:

Adding an extra tooth to the gearbox sprocket means you can extend your chain life by an extra 6 months!!!!! :o

Gertcha! Sarky buggers.......The reason you quoted(SSDT-max velocity) is exactly the reason my mate changed his sprocket.

Doing this makes the front end more difficult to raise on the throttle/clutch.

Okeedokee

......here endeth the lesson :D