Snapped Rear Disc Bolt - Help!

fordson major

Fitting a new rear brake hose today, removed the old one, fitted new one, got it bled, Job Done!

Went over to the rear wheel to put it back in't bike and thought 'Might as well tighten the disc bolts'.

What a stupid mistake!! :):D:D;):D:D:D:D:P:wall:

Tighten first one...fine, tighten second one...fine, tighten third one...CRACK :(

In my defence it wasn't like I were swinging on the spanner, just a slight turn but nevertheless I now have half a bolt stuck in the hub and an old brake hose likely to go round my neck if I don't get it sorted before my Dad finds out :unsure:

I read this thread about the snapped fork bolt and wonder if I drill the bolt out and there isn't much left of the thread, can you fit a heli-coil?

Cheers in advance for any replies

Rob :(

Edited by Beta120690

PLEASE...

Do yourself a favor and Stop. Right now.... Put down the drill..... Back away from the Wheel......

Get someone experienced at doing this to do it for you.

Remove the wheel and the disc and bring it to a good machine shop. (I think you call them engineering shops)

It will be cheap / easy / quick / painless until you start messing about with it.

Tell dad, he should understand that you were doing the right thing. It is far better to check those then to have them back out and destroy stuff.

Ask nicely if you could please watch as someone experienced removes the bolt and ask them to explain what they are doing and why, and what the other alternatives would be.

The bit about the brake hose round my neck was just a bit of a joke to try and lighten up the post.

As for getting it sorted out I understand what needs doing but I'd rather someone else drilled it out as I'd probably end up making a bad situation worse. Bit of a pain in the a*** because up till then the work I'd been doing on the bike hadn't been too bad, honest :unsure:

Cheers for the replies Alan and '2fargone'

Happened to me whilst riding, sheared three in one go and Ralph sheared the lot tonight at the quarry, get them helicoiled or Tight Fast inserts which mine have, all of our rev3 disc bolts come undone and need loctite to give you a chance of keeping them in

I've just had a "near miss" with the disc bolts... Last time out I noticed the front brake was making a funny noise. Didn't worry about it at the time but when I got home and investigated, I discovered that all of the bolts on the front AND rear discs were backing out. So after a quick locitite and spanner twirling session I checked all other visible bolts on the bike and found at least 30% of them were loose (including a couple of the chassis bolts!)

Lesson learned I guess and a FULL bolt check is now part of my post-wash checklist. Should always have been of couse, but... :unsure:

Neon, always worth checking the disc bolts every ride, can get abit costly if they come out to far and score a bloody great groove in the caliper, or busts all the bolt heads out. We usually check the disc ones half way through the day as well to be sure

My disc one always seem fine (saying that now they`ll all bloody go next ride!). Worst ones on my bike for self extraction are the ones that conect the removeable frame struts too the frame besides the rad! bloody nightmare always coming undone no matter what strength of loctite I use! oh and the rear brake pedal :unsure:

My disc one always seem fine (saying that now they`ll all bloody go next ride!). Worst ones on my bike for self extraction are the ones that conect the removeable frame struts too the frame besides the rad! bloody nightmare always coming undone no matter what strength of loctite I use! oh and the rear brake pedal :unsure:

i check those ones and the footrest ones. spray the chain and fill it with petrol. i have had betas since 98 and thats been my maintenance on them.