02 Pro Jetting Question

ritcrider

The spark plug in my 02 Pro is black and sooty....not a nice tan color and I'm getting smoke and splooge out the exhaust. Apparently she's running a little rich so my question is should I change the main, pilot or drop the needle a notch (I'm assuming it's adjustable like most?) I'm at sea level so any jetting info would be helpful. Just rebuilt the top end so the engines nice and crisp....air filter is clean and oiled. I'd like to get the throttle reponse cleaner as it is a tad bit blubbery off idle.

Many thanks

RIRCrider - surely if your bike had been running OK, but is not running rich, then this implies something is not right (sounds so much better than wrong). To change your jetting or adjust the needle height won't solve the problem but merely mask it. So I would investigate the usual reasons that can make a bike start running rich eg blocked/dirty air filter, poor plug/ignition, then move on to exhausts BEFORE you start replacing jets etc

Sorry, let me clarify

I bought it used from Ohio (USA) and it has always run on the rich side. Not to the point where it runs bad or anything but the plug has always been a little black and sooty and exhaust smokes a little. I just rebuilt the top end, new barrel, piston and rings and it runs and starts easier than it ever did since I got it. Runs nice and quite also (Bad rattle before due to excessive piston cylinder clearance) It is showing a still rich condition on plug reading. Air cleaner is new, clean and freshly oiled son intake is not a problem. I'd just like to get the plug running nice and tan. Throttle responce isn't to bad...maybe slightly bluberry off idle.