Aprilia Climber Running Problem

dave o

Hi Guys

I've got a problem with my climber. The bike will start and run for anything between 15 - 60 seconds, and then dies!!! The fuel mix is 50:1, the carb has been cleaned 4 times, the coil and cdi have been substituted for another, and the bike still won't run. Already spent 3 days on this and I reckon it won't be long before I hang myself :wacko: . Any ideas on the problem would be great. Has anyone had something similar?

Heeeellllllllpppppppp

Regards

Dave

Dave, will it start whilst the choke is on only, or is is cutting out when the choke is turned off. Also will it sometimes fire first kick then die or sometimes quite a few kicks before it starts. If the latter, check the woodruff on the flywheel, if its broke the bike may fire if everything lines up but as soon as the flywheel moves out of position it will die.

I Assume the bike has only just started doing this and has been fault free before or is this a bike you have just bought

Need a bit more info Dave ie; is this a bike you ve just bought and cant get it to run or have these problems started all of a sudden without you changing anything. When it does start does it idle ok and just dies or only when you open the twisty thing. As Barry said could be one of those really annoying tiny problems, like a split intake or blocked fuel filter or even no atmoshphere pressure going to the tank. Is the fuel pipe running ok and filling the float chamber.

Thanks Guys

The bike will run with or without the choke. The bike was running ok a couple of weeks ago. I parked the bike up and fitted new chain , sprockets and wheel bearings. After that I started it up and it ran for about 15 mins and died, sounded like it had run out of fuel. I filled it up with the correct mix, and hey presto, bike would only run for a short time before dying with what sounds like fuel starvation.

So cleaned the carb, cleaned the tank and filters ( x8), and put new fuel in, same problem. Checked the plug for sparking(ok), swapped out the coil/cdi, checked power from the stator, same problem.

So at the moment, I can run the bike for seconds rather than minutes, although have to keep working the throttle, and the it dies. It doesn't die just because the throttle is wide open, it can do it at idling speed.

Any ideas, ( cant get the nut off the shaft to check the woodruff key, but it appears to be tight)

regards

Dave

Well the Beta had the same kind of symptons yesterday after a little tumble I checked and changed the plug too no avail then I set R2w loose on the carb who gave it a good clean and a slight adjustment on the float height ( I had over done the adjustment) and it now runs better than ever! although you say you`ve cleaned it all out lots i`d say make sure you go through the whole system slowly and systamatically eliminating each and every part

• 3 weeks later...

My 280r did the same thing until I changed the plug. Just like you I thought it had a good spark, but a new plug sorted it out. They're really susceptible to the right plug so I always get a couple and keep them handy as mine seems to go through plugs like nobodys business.....

Edited by Social Climber