04 315 Advice?

paul w

Well built bikes so just check the usual points as any used bike.

Front and rear wheel bearings,

Head stock bearings,

Swinging arm for excessive play,the bearings,bushes and seals are an exspensive item if they need replacing.

The clutches do tend to drag a bit but should be ok when warmed up.

Engine and gearbox check for excessive noise and smooth gear selection.

My 1999 model had the standard clutch and it was awful regardless of the oil used. I was told by a bike mechanic that the plates stick together like two panes of wet glass for want of a better description. Every few trials I had to dismantle the clutch and emry paper the steel plates to remove the glaze - worked a treat.

Eventually I bought new friction plates from Haven (I think)

As advised check airbox first for cleanliness, check coolant level also, low means no maintenance, check also brake pads, all shock linkages should have grease and very little play. also check the inner side of the silencer for wear from the wheel. Check for the obvious bent levers, wheel bearings etc. Ask yourself "does this bike look like its been looked after"

As for the clutch, sureflex plates and silkolene pro SRG7 oil, or, if yer feeling flush, Elf

If its good nick, buy it, if not walk away, there are plenty of good ones out there

Edited by monty-python