Scorpa Middle Box Crack

nitjay - hrc

Hi,

The middle exhaust box has a slight crack in it down the left hand side (its not in the usual place right at the bottom of the middle box) , i dont think its blowing through it, it almost looks like its been wacked rather than split due to weakness. i have been advised it needs repairing before i ride it again. I take it i need to take it to an ally welder, do i have to take the whole unit off? if so is it very difficult and will i need to replace any seals or anything?

I will try to upload a pic later.

Thanks guys!

Also the clutch is dragging (Edit) the smallest bit, but its making everyone who rides my bike stall it, is there a checklist or something i can go through to try to get rid of it!

Cheers

Edited by Nitjay - HRC

Hi,you will have to remove upper shock mount and silencer.Middle esxhaust just slips on header pipe there are a couple o rings but they most always come off fine with pipe part.As for clutch never have had any problems with slipping.JR

Middle box is as per previous post, its easier to remove and re install if you warm it up a little first. Use a hot air paint stripper, it doesnt take much heat to make a difference.

The clutch problem is most likely the wrong oil or it needs changing, what oil do you run ?

It will need to come off and you'll need to take the two seals out of the front hole that slides over the down pipe from the head as the welder may melt them due to the heat involved. Its really easy to do, about fifteen mins work. I've seen these mid sections changed at the SSDT so don't worry. As said before, tank off, rear guard, airbox with exhuast still attached, remove top shock bolt and swing shock back and pull it off. Good time to get the carb out to and give it a clean too.

As for the clutch, I guess you've tried new oil? Have you got the right amont? you need around 600ml. Also check you've got enough fluid in the resi at the bars. Too little and you won't get full operation. Be carefull though, don't put too much in or you'll generate too much pressure down below and push the piston out ot the housing!

Good luck, let us know how you get on and get in touch with any snags. By the way, moving on to a Beta soon so get the advice from me while you can!! :lol:

Right thanks Boo!

I am going to get it off on Sunday, i wanted to take it off because it gives me an excuse to give it a good clean up, (including carb) and whilst im doing work i may as well fit my fuel filter. Would it be a good idea whilst its off, to get the middle box reinforced along the bottom end where it normally cracks (like it says on the Birkett site)

With the clutch, im not sure about oils etc because there are different reccomendations for the amount of oil to put in the bike. I will check the reservoir at the bars though, and when i next change the oil i will try a different one.

Is there a particular oil that Scorpas really like? :guinness: or could it be that the clutch is not properly adjusted? if this is the case should i fiddle with the little arm by the engine? or leave that alone.

So many questions!

Thanks

I've tried lots of oils and they all do pretty much the same. I now use Motul 5100 10W40 engine oil, same as you'd put in your car. This is what is in the bikes when supplied by Scorpa and its what Birks and co recomend. You could use any 10W40, it should all be made to the same spec. Before you do anything change the oil, adding 600ml's. I know what you mean about the differant advice, the TYZ book say's 700, some folk say 550, I've used 600 on mine since new and it's now 4 years old, no probs. I've done some big trials too including the SSDT. :guinness:

Wouldn't of thought it would make much differance. I think the 10W bit is all do with the flow of the oil in winter. The 30 bit is viscosity, so a 30 is thinner than a 40.

Have you changed your oil? If so and the problem is still there after the oil and engine is warm then it will be the fluid level in the resi, almost sure of it. I had the same problem.

• 6 years later...

post-8876-0-83705500-1364579957_thumb.jpgResurrecting an old post.

Just found my centre box has a big crack in it too. :wall: runs for about half the width of the box just above the main weld that joins the two halves

Anyone got any idea what grade ally they're made from?

Cost of a new one incase welding fails? :blush:

Are new ones still available?